Something to think about, liquid metal compatibility with copper heat sinks

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Tishers, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Kana Chan

Kana Chan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/lapped-my-fx-8350-4-3ghz-oced-temps-lowered-by-9°c.2300800/
    In that thread, the guy managed to get a 5.3C decrease with a mirror finish at equal voltage and this decrease 5.3C also allowed him to further drop the voltage a tiny bit ( and further temp decrease ).

2. Sentinel196

Sentinel196 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What's important to understand is that not all Liquid Metals are the same as each other. Some brands are formulated specifically to retain their performance when the "alloying" effect occurs.

I did a tonne of my own research into this, as well as speaking to some fot he engineers that actually design the stuff and put together a video explaining he basic science behind it for people to understand without having to go into the really heavy chemistry..... I hope this helps :)

bennyg and Vasudev like this.
  3. Sacco

Sacco Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Funny thing is, no reviewer mentions the CPU being stuck to the copper heatsinks. No mention of the risk of having to pull your cooler with your CPU attached to it.

4. Sentential

Sentential Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    With all my experience with liquid metal compared to PGS pads I honestly prefer the pads. LM just isn't worth the risk the added point of failure later down the road and heatsink problems

hmscott likes this.
  5. Jonathan Ganucheau

Jonathan Ganucheau Newbie

Reputations:
    @Tishers thanks for the post, very informative

Question: You said you nickel plate and then silver plate your heatsinks - why wouldn't you only nickel plate if you're using liquid metal and leave out the silver? Silver has a galvanic potential of +0.7996 I believe. Wouldn't that make the alloy/battery effect even worse than with copper? Or does something else happen between gallium and silver that would make it a preferable liquid metal interface to nickel?

6. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I wonder, can a thin 0.5mm compressible thermal pad be used as a damn against liquid metal leakage. Want to repaste my 7700HQ with liquid metal. But i dont really believe in foam dams as being really reliable for that purpose. Sucks that I cant find any measurements of how high the chip die of a 7700HQ is.

7. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Safe to assume you've already gone thru this thread - http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...r-liquid-metal-safety-insurance-guide.817207/

The problem with a thermal pad is that it may not compress all the way down, which may prevent the heat sink from making physical contact with the CPU.

bennyg, Vistar Shook and rinneh like this.
  8. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    No.
    The pad can be no thicker than 0.1mm.
    You are best off using a VERY thick thermal paste as a dam in that case, like Arctic Ceramique 1 or 2, or Phobya Nanogrease Extreme, in a very thin layer (0.1mm thick) around the CPU housing, but not touching the CPU silicon). Then if you apply the heatsink, the paste should spread in a ring around the heatsink and silicon, which should trap the LM.

jclausius, Vistar Shook and rinneh like this.
  9. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hmm that sucks, with the paste Im worried it will just dry out over time.

Have gone through it, but I dont feel confident abotu the foam barriers because they are quite porous.

Vistar Shook and hmscott like this.
  10. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah I used K5 Pro as a dam, messy to clean up but it does do the job.