Something to think about, liquid metal compatibility with copper heat sinks

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Tishers, Jan 27, 2017.

1. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    As said above sanding the stain - Cu-Ga alloy - is of negative effect if you're going to apply LM again. Certainly wipe off the used liquidy stuff (which will have lost some gallium) with isopropyl+paper towel and reapply fresh, this 2nd application will not lose anywhere near as much Ga into the heatsink as the 1st.

I find it's more like a suction effect than "gluing" (and certainly "soldering" is the wrong term to use). I find a slight twist of an unscrewed heatsink or lifting on an angle is usually enough to break the 'suction' between CPU and heatsink or IHS and heatsink and have them come apart.

I learned a minor lesson in the early days I pulled up too hard too quickly on the wrong end end of a P870DM GPU heatsink which preferred to slightly bend along the 20cm long heatpipes rather than detach from the 980M with the combined suction effect of grippy thermal pads and liquid metal on the die.

Something's seems not right with your paste application there or the delid has been affected, 10C is a huge difference in the wrong direction between a pretty good paste (NTH1) and a very good one (Kryo)

[​IMG]
    https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-comparison,5108-9.html

2. Sacco

Sacco Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Maybe....I just got some NT-H1 and will replace the Kryonaut today and see what happens.

If the temps are bad then I might have to further polish the sanded surfaces. If nothing works then I'll go back to LM but next time I will not sand the GaCu alloy.

Thanks for the reply...I wish I knew this before even attempting LM....there is little info about the re application (youtube reviewers are for the most part sloppy with this thing), certainly this is the only thread I found with the precise information.

3. Sacco

Reputations:
    Kryonaut out, NT-H1 in.

Instantly a huge change:

CB15

Kryonaut = 81c

NT-H1 = 72c

See? that Kryonaut is crap, maybe only useful with a much greater pressure.

hmscott likes this.
  4. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Was your Kryonaut hardened or fully liquid? (Kryonaut should have the same viscosity as Arctic MX-4).
    There were several bad samples of the 1g tubes being almost dried out, which I never saw in the 5g tubes.
    Either way, regardless of the heatsink, you should NEVER have initial temps of Kryonaut higher than NT-H1, ever, regardless of what you do. The problems only happen after a week or so and thermal stresses, never initially.

Your problem is very likely just a bad sample (I would bet $100 cold cash on that).
    I've compared Kryonaut vs NT-H1 on three surfaces already on 3 different devices (laptops, desktops, video cards, etc) and each one had Kryonaut better. And reference AMD cards are not known for their mounting pressure (it's lower than laptops).

Vistar Shook and hmscott like this.
  5. Sacco

Reputations:
    I don't know. But mine was white and liquid, way less viscous than NT H1 (still viscous, not entirely liquid)...while NT H1 creates a "suction" effect, Kryonaut didn't. And as I said the temps are noticeably better on NT H1.

Anyway, I placed a complaint on amazon and got my money back.

hmscott likes this.
  6. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    Fake paste.
    Kryonaut is NOT white and liquid !
    It's actually mostly grey, although NT-H1 is much darker. But not white.
    You had counterfeit paste. Sorry man.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    M18x-oldie, rinneh, Ashtrix and 3 others like this.
  7. Sacco

Reputations:
    Haha, funny. It was sent to me directly from Amazon :D it wasn't even a middle man.

hmscott likes this.
  8. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    It's VERY important to get your terms and descriptions right so that other people are not misled by your posts.
    Kyronaut is NOT a white paste. If anything it's at best a light grey / gray.
    Here is what a white paste looks like. And I just now took this picture for you even though it was not convenient for me to do so.

kryonaut.jpg

Arctic Ceramique 1 is the the left. THAT is a white paste.
    Kryonaut is in the middle. That's more like a buffed off grey.
    NT-H1 is on the right.

You can't possibly still believe Kryonaut is white.....although NT-H1 is much darker (that I stand corrected on. I was possibly mixing up Gelid, Phobya Nanogrease Extreme and Coolermaster Gel Maker nano as well (I have all those pastes). I don't use NT-H1. Not a good paste (but better than MX-4).

M18x-oldie, Ashtrix, hmscott and 2 others like this.
  9. Sacco

Reputations:
    It was pretty much the one on the left. White.

hmscott likes this.
  10. Sacco

Reputations:
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2018