Something to replace my Samsung RC512

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by SceoMyntan, Sep 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SceoMyntan

SceoMyntan Newbie

Reputations:
    I've had my main computer, Samsung RC512, since 2011, but it's getting worn and outdated. I'd like something that can match it in reliability; for thriftiness and environmentalism I want quality electronics I can use for a long time.

I read some comments saying ULV processors perform badly, but Core U seems so common on the laptops I've looked at. Should I be concerned? I don't want to get a new computer to find it's worse than my trusty RC512.

A touchscreen is an interesting idea also. I do digital painting as a casual hobby on an old, not too well-performing Fujitsu LifeBook with pen input. It might be nice to bring that to a better computer, but it's not important. Other than that I have no need for touch.

1) What is your budget?
    About $1000

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    Preferably 15 to 16 -inch screen; could go for 14
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    A little scared of the Dell battery fires, but that shouldn't affect my decision, right?
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Redistributed yes. Refurbished only if it was very trustworthy

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    For the most part, ordinary word processing, browsing, and entertainment. I tend to have a lot of applications and tabs open at once. I dabble in digital art and design and sometimes use graphics programs

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Mostly staying home, but will take it around sometimes

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook?
    Nothing intensive. Don't need dedicated graphics

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Online okay

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows, but I'm considering dual-booting a Linux OS and mostly using that

Screen Specifics
    A good screen is very important to me because I'm on the computer a lot and want to avoid eyestrain. Good color coverage is definitely a plus. I've read about PWM, but sounds like it's not too bad if you keep the laptop on full brightness and use third-party applications to dim it if you need.

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer?
    At least high resolution

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?
    Either is fine. I used to have a Gateway convertible with a very shiny screen though. If the recent touchscreens are as bad, I'd definitely want some anti-glare features

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    No. It's what's on the screen that's important!

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    500 GB

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    Whenever; can wait indefinitely

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    Up to a decade

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    I don't rely on it

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    The latter

2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hi there.

For longevity, look for something business-class that is designed to be dependable in the long run. A Dell Latitude 5591 from the Dell Outlet (see our guide to outlet shopping) is my suggestion. It's not the thinnest machine, but it does have a full-power H-class Intel processor. The U-series chips aren't bad performers by any means, and you'd be fine with those. Given how long you want this machine to last, though, it's worth getting something with extra grunt. Also look for 16GB of memory and a solid-state drive (SSD). Be sure to use the coupons to get the price down, see the guide I linked.

Dell's battery fires are a thing of the past.

For drawing - there are a number of Dell Latitude 2-in-1 models that transition to a tablet if you want to draw, just make sure the one you look at has active pen support. Usually they are smaller (13-14" screen).

Charles

3. SceoMyntan

SceoMyntan Newbie

Reputations:
    I looked at the Dell Outlet on your suggestion and nearly decided to buy a Latitude. If the U-series isn't really that bad though, maybe it's worth looking into some of those, for the lower temperatures and such? I did see on a benchmarking site that an 8th generation ULV chip is still a lot better performing than the one in my current computer, which meets all my needs.

If I'm going to spend close to $1000 on a computer, I might indeed prefer something with pen or touch input and possibly, but not necessarily, better sRGB coverage. Would you have any suggestions for that, now that I'm open to U chips?

4. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Temperatures vary by laptop. It's possible for a laptop with an H-series chip to run cooler than one with a U-series. I wouldn't worry too much about CPU temperatures.

Try the Dell Latitude 2-in-1 notebooks, and also look at the Dell XPS series. They might run a little higher, price-wise. Lenovo offers ThinkPad 2-in-1 notebooks as well.

See what you think of those.

Charles

5. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    While I'm sure there are 15" notebooks you can get a pen for and draw with, but you'll have better choices with smaller notebooks. Something like the ThinkPad Yoga might be worth a look. Unless there's something I've missed, which is certainly possible. In my opinion your budget is a bit low for what you want.

I had a ThinkPad T580 with 4K LCD pass through my hands earlier this year. The 4k screen is gorgeous, though no touch. With the 4K you take a hit on the battery life, but that doesn't seem to be an issue here. Dell, Lenovo and HP all have outlets. It's pretty much the same as buying new as long as it's not marked scratch and dent. You'll get better value there as opposed to new.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.