Something is Wrong with my XPS 15 When I try to undervolt

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by EORUCIGN, Jul 10, 2018.

1. EORUCIGN

EORUCIGN Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am sorry that I am posting a lot of threads, but I am really concerned about my new baby here. Ok, I am really skeptical about my undervolting method. I recently got my Dell XPS 15 9570, and was shocked by the power limited throttling, that when I play games, the CPU goes down to 0.8 GHz. So I thought I gotta do some undervolting by xtu and throttlestop. Now here comes my skepticism.

I was able to make Core and cache voltage offset to -200mv and Intel graphics card voltage offset to -150mv, which sounds crazy for me unless I am really lucky. I ran prime 95, and it does not show any blue screen, and the temperature is around 75 ~ 80c, so it looks good so far. However, whenever I enter XTU, for some reason, it is recommending me to reset my voltage to normal which is a bit odd in my opinion.

Also, when I watch a youtube video, sometimes the sound crashes and I am not so sure this is due to undervolting or not. What do you guys think? Is getting -200mv reasonable or just something wrong with my unit?

2. EORUCIGN

Reputations:
    ok finally my -200v showed some blue screen, now I might be able to find my sweet spot.

3. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You can not undervolt to -200mv and expect no crashes.

Review the posts here and you will see some people claiming -150mv. That varies by system. You should start with a less aggressive undervolt and stress test for a few hours. If that is good then maybe another -10mv.

I would hope your CPU can be stable in the -120 to -140 range but not much more under stress.

Woodking likes this.
  4. EORUCIGN

Reputations:
    That's what I was thinking as well. Since I got my first bluescreen on -200mv, now I am slowly dropping my voltage to find some sweet spot.

5. antik

antik Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yeah I don't think I've seen anyone run -200mv stable. Start at -150mv and go from there. I'm able to run mine at -190mv stable, but I consider myself one of the lucky ones

6. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Don't use XTU, it's broken. Use throttlestop.

Papusan and unclewebb like this.
  7. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Fully agree. Throttlestop is a great little utility and does a good job as long and you test your settings 1. actually are working, and 2. leave the system stable/reliable.

8. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Did you repaste that system? Throttling to 800mhz is extremely severe.

9. EORUCIGN

Reputations:
    I was able to have stable -190mv but after I restarted my laptop, for some reason, throttlestop changed my setting to default. So it seems like 190mv is no good for me

10. EORUCIGN

Reputations:
    Not yet. I will get my thermal pad today!