About 2 weeks ago I had some trouble trying to print (printer was unplugged for a few weeks prior to this attempt) (blank pages only came out) (Usually I don't have issues printing in B&W but that didn't work either) Tried an Epson software update, no change. The printer in question is an Epson xp6000. About a day or so after that I noticed that the name of my Mobile Broadband connection had changed from T-Mobile (4G LTE GSM) to T-Mobile (4G LTE GSM) 2. Yesterday when connecting to the printer in an attempt to try to print again, I noticed that I could no longer connect to the Broadband and the printer at the same time as I could before. (Only certain programs were blocked, now its the entirety of my internet connection) Finally I noticed that I was actually able to download things via uTorrent. (Something previously impossible with my current network unless using my friends router connection.) In conclusion, I have only vague ideas of what I think the problems are. With the printer/network issue, it seems like there's some kind of port being blocked/conflict. If I should be posting this somewhere else/better, let me know. Thank you.