Some questions on the Alienware 17R1 1070 upgrade

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by uugui shi, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Hellsik

Hellsik Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi today i test contol for gpu fan with HWinfo, but it has only 3 steps with EC function disable. When is eneable I could control CPU fan with 50 rpm steps. Is it possile to create conection with CPU and GPU fan to control it with lower steps not 0, 2000 and 3600? Has anyone try this?

2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Sure, wire it up.

3. Hellsik

Hellsik Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ok I will test it run only CPU fan connect to GPU with Dell EC. I read more than 6 threads which CPU fan should i chose. I have m17x R5.
    Some people has got only one degree difference but someone gas got more than 10 degrees on gpu. I think you wrote about is, but you modified 14 R2 fan.

On ebay is 1,6 CFM 2,3 CFM : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Alien...940746?hash=item1a7a2d544a:g:QPkAAOSwOM5ci8DB
    6,5 CFM: https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-for-DE...050473?hash=item1a26612569:g:arIAAOSwCU1YrrOK
    10,5 CFM: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Turbo-...885313?hash=item3d7a102c41:g:80UAAOSw0d1b7PtA

The last one it looks same as 14 R2 fan. Bearing is "magnetic", but i think it is fluid bearing like others.

4. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I think for gpu the fan is from M17x r3 and the cpu fan is from an m14x R2 but I now use an ebay fan until I get working on myachine again.

5. uugui shi

uugui shi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    while I wait for the GPU and heatsink to arrive I have some other questions for some future upgrades:
    - how do I mod the bios and what are the greatest advantages of doing so?
    - what is the best ram I can put in the ranger?
    - I am also planning to replace the ODD with an hard drive slot, can I buy any of those adapters from amazon or do I need to find one specific for the AW17?
    - there's a mSata 60GB SSD installed on my laptop that I didn't know of, is it safe to remove/upgrade it? Now it only comes up when I boot in UEFI but the OS cannot detect it.

EDIT: it was a 60GB mSata ssd

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  6. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's likely a caching drive in your setup. If you have anything important on your laptop, backup it to a external hard drive or something similar. Then you can remove it

7. uugui shi

Reputations:
    the problem is that I can't access it in anyway from the OS

8. Hellsik

Hellsik Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Interesting I have 80GB msata SSD too, but I install OS on it. This week I will swap for 500GB 860 Evo. But I install OS on RAID not UEFI.

9. uugui shi

Reputations:
    when I bought the laptop I had a 750GB HDD and the OS was installed on that, then my HDD died on me one day and I bought the 840 EVO and reinstalled back the OS on that (losing everything). I was never able to use the normal windows boot from that day only uefi.

10. uugui shi

Reputations:
    Okay I've rebooted the system and it looks like it's dev cache and it is disabled right now so I guess removing it would make no difference at all

Attached Files: