Some questions on the Alienware 17R1 1070 upgrade

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by uugui shi, Mar 22, 2019.

1. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, its the long one under the ODD

2. uugui shi

uugui shi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    UPDATE: keyboard fixed still trying to fit the frame
    can't seem to fit le lower part on the sides of the alienware logo any suggestions?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  3. M18x-oldie

M18x-oldie Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah, the price levels over here are 100-150 $$ higher, when wanting to buy new and genuine 1060/1070 directly from reliable resellers (and not from taobao).

4. uugui shi

Reputations:
    So I have this situation here: all the clips snap back in except for those beside the Alienware logo on the frame. I have also removed one on the screws brackets from the display (top right) as it was in the way of a clip. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

5. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    Thanks for the shoutout.

6. uugui shi

Reputations:
    Update: Screen Upgrade completed

Attached Files:

7. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Mind sharing how you did it? You are one of 3 people I think to do this.

8. uugui shi

Reputations:
    While I don't consider my work fully done yet I know what needs to be done. I needed the lid on my laptop to close because I have a flight today.
    Basically modding the hinges is not enough, some other parts of the lid case need to be polished with a rasp or similar tool (i used a rasp as I had the display installed while I was doing it) and some clips need to be removed, I also removed the bracket in the top right as you can see in one of my previous photos as it was in the way of one clip. I also polished some clips (also in the photos above) from the frame itself as they were not needed anymore.
    The biggest problem is the right hinge as that is where extra room is required because you need to fold the ribbon cable of the 40 pin connector behind the screen this will make it thicker and it won't allow to clip the frame, so you have to polish until it fits. [ see Example 1 from another user on here]
    I'll also upload some picture of some stages of my polishing work [Mine and mine2]
    Getting something as close as Example 1 as possible should be more than enough to fit the screen the best way possible.
    If you have any specific questions I'll try to answer them as best as I can, keep in mind it is 1:25 am here in italy so it may take a while for me to answer back:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  9. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Thanks for the insights! This will be helpful for me when I get the time to finally complete it. Like you, I was able to get the panel in but due to the dimensions it doesn't close. I ran out of time but looking forward to finishing it.

Thanks!

uugui shi likes this.
  10. uugui shi

Reputations:
    I'll add something to that. If you want to use the original screen brackets, as I did, there may be a small thing that looks like a screw stuck in it (I don't know how to better explain it) you have to remove it as it will raise the display to much on the top side. You either push it to remove it or you break it with a tool and then remove it (as I did). If you decide to use this method and put cardboard in between the original brackets and the display you may want to know that it has to be less than 3mm thick (it must stay below the lateral screw holes and not cover them).

Some other advise:
    - the clips on the part of the frame that covers the hinges are very fragile and they will inevitably breake if you keep putting and removing the frame
    - the "light module" has to be removed, I have also disconnected it from the motherboard and,while that is not necessary, having one less cable behind the alienware logo should make it easier to clip the frame back on. (this means losing all the lights in the lid area not just the alienware logo)
    - for other people: be careful when you close the palm rest back on make sure that it clicks in the power button area or you won't be able to turn it on later

this is a question/suggestion: there was another connector beside the webcam connector I gather this is for the 3D of the OEM 120Hz display but it gets in the way with this one, so I had to put it behind the display. I was wondering can it be cut?

Little review of the display so far:
    The colors are amazing, I always hated the fact that my display was so dull, as photo and movie editor this is a blessing. I have played a very colorful game yesterday (sea of thieves) and it was almost like playing on my sony 4K TV.
    When it comes to game experience I have noticed that the 120Hz refresh rate diminishes the screen tearing effect that you get when disabling vsync to the point that it is barely even noticeable (at least in the games I have tried), I plan on testing the G-Sync capabilities of this display when I upgrade to the 1070. My display came with a stuck pixel, that is green in color but still works when over white areas, this not enough to ask the manufacturer for a replacement so I hope it comes unstuck as time goes on (I have already tried the most common methods to solve this problem but none has worked yet).

Future plans:
    - This friday I'm going to buy a "Dell" 1070 mxm from a reseller on taobao that I have contacted, with the help of a chinese friend, 440$ shipping included.
    - I'll buy this heatsink too, and will perform the upgrade only when both this parts are here.
    - I'll test the gsync functionality when I get the 1070, if it works it will be another big pro for this display

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    Ashtrix likes this.