Some questions on the Alienware 17R1 1070 upgrade

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by uugui shi, Mar 22, 2019.

1. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Not really specific to the forum and I couldn't give the quick guide to panel types as I was getting ready for job 1.

IPS has better viewing angles and usually better color accuracy as well but has a bit more latency usually. I don't think three is many if any laptops with ips and 120hz though.

TN has better response times and plentiful for 120hz but viewing angles suffer. For a long time TN was thought of as a cheap solution.

Both panels in question here are TN to my knowledge. The difference is glossy finish VS matte. I prefer matte overall but others like glossy.

uugui shi likes this.
  2. uugui shi

uugui shi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you for your patience. I have replaced a laptop display before but it was an OEM part so it was easy, I will have to put a bit more effort with my ranger. Matte is way better than glossy, I wouldn't be able to work with a glossy display.

3. uugui shi

Reputations:
    update: the GPU seller told me that the GPU I ordered (and payed for) will not boot so I'm waiting for full refund and I need to find another seller. I've found this guy who's selling a 1070 in europe (and this alone is pretty convenient for me) my question is: is this one good?
    He says it's from eurocom and I've read some pretty bad things on here about them, so I need your help again guys.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  4. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Unless eurocom stepped up their game I would avoid that one like the plague

5. uugui shi

Reputations:
    may I ask what is the problem with the eurocom cards (beside the prices that are ridiculous)?

6. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    VRM's blowing up from 90W+ VBIOS's

7. uugui shi

Reputations:
    okay this one should be the same as the original one I had found I'll try to make an offer for a cheaper price.

8. TheReciever

Reputations:
    So far haven't seen any negative issues with that gpu. Played funky in a 7710 but likely was just the EC not wanting to cooperate.

uugui shi likes this.
  9. uugui shi

Reputations:
    update: that reseller told me that he's just found out that they don't have them in stock, now I cannot find any 1070s besides the MSI and the clevo. If you guys know of any other place where I can find this card it would help alot

EDIT: I did find some more on ebay

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  10. uugui shi

Reputations:
    update: Every reseller I've contacted removed the product from their page soon after answering me, so it seems that version of the 1070 is not in stock anywhere right now. The only thing I can find is the MSI 1070 but it requires case modding. So I have some other questions:
    1) Are there other alternatives that you guys know of?
    2) Are there some pictures that show the kind of modding required to fit this MSI card? Is it easy?
    On the other hand the N173HHE-G32 display has arrived and the edp cable should be here next week so I will probably do that upgrade first and then buy the GPU.