Some questions on the Alienware 17R1 1070 upgrade

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by uugui shi, Mar 22, 2019.

1. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I couldnt say I never used the 3 pipe heatsink. I got the 5 pipe as soon as I got the Ranger. So even with the 780m I also had similar temperatures since its a similar 115w TDP iirc

2. kaibsora

kaibsora Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Honestly for that price I would just get a new laptop. The newer ones are plenty powerful and can have better gpus

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

3. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    For me it's not really about having the latest powerful machines. I prefer to keep these old MXM machines going just for the fun of it. I just have to find the balance of cost vs reward. Buying the broken 17 last week and getting it running using parts from my other machines was great.

Ashtrix, M18x-oldie and Angelom60 like this.
  4. Duck W

Duck W Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm gonna upgrade my M17x r4. Thanks for all the info guys.

5. RYUZAKI L

RYUZAKI L Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Friend, first sorry for my bad english I noticed in previous conversations that you use a GTX 1070 card like the one I have on my Alienware 17 R1 2014, I would like to ask if your laptop also happens to GTX 1070 card fail to complete the 3DMark Sky Diver test ?? My GTX 1070 card was upgraded to V-BIOS MSI_N17E-G2_86.04.31.00.0C_non-GSYNC However, I remember that the Original V-BIOS that came on the GTX 1070 card allowed me to plug in the Alienware normally and access Windows, but because I've read MSI V-BIOS reviews, I didn't want to test the graphics card with the original V-BIOS that came with it, so I asked a friend to upgrade the graphics card to MSI V-BIOS... now I wonder if the original V-BIOS that came in it would not be more stable than the MSI V-BIOS ??? I even noticed yesterday that in the game Mortal Kombat XL sometimes freeze white screen and restarts .. does anyone have any information to share with me ???

6. RYUZAKI L

RYUZAKI L Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Friend TheReciever could you please help me in this matter? Is there any tutorial here teaching how to update V-BIOS with NVFLASH ??? I am considering returning to the Original V-BIOS of the GTX 1070 Graphics Card to test if errors in the SKY Diver 3D Mark remain ..

7. Angelom60

Angelom60 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a question for everyone, but could the R1 with the Gtx1070 support a 4k display?

8. uugui shi

uugui shi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    yes, tested it myself. You will need to use the display port or a mini display port to HDMI Adapter with Active 4K60Hz and it will work. You will also be able to run many games at that resolution with the 1070

9. Angelom60

Angelom60 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi uugui shi, hanks for your quick reply. But I meant if changing our innolux fhd with another display but 4k, it could work like for example B173ZAN01.0 LCD Display Screen Screen 17.3 '3840x2160 UHD 4K LED 40pin lkc

10. uugui shi

uugui shi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Oh sorry, I think there was a display that worked but it had some disadvantages compared to the innolux. The 1070 is not a real 4K GPU so buying a 4K display is not a good investment for the future when games will inevitably get harder to run. Also I think there is no 4K 120hz display, at least not for the ranger. Maybe someone around here has tried it, but it’s not just a matter of “same EDP pin, so it works”

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019