Some questions about Clevo P650RS-G

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by bryanwuAC, Nov 13, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bryanwuAC

bryanwuAC Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys
    I'm seeking to buy a laptop with GTX 1070. I bought an Asus GL502VS-DB71 a few days ago. It didn't work fine when I closed the lid and connected to the external monitor. It began shut down automatically for overheat when I palyed Forza Horizon 3 continuously for more than 1 hour. The same thing happend 3-4 times for me and I had to return the computer.

According to the review in this forum, I believe Clevo P650rs-G is one of the best laptop with 1070, so now I'm considering it as my first choice. However, what I concern is its quality reliability. This is the first time I buy Clevo laptop, and I will keep my new laptop for at least 3 years, so
    1. I just want to make sure that there will be no "unexpected" fails on my computer. For example, my current computer Lenovo Y410P, which I bought in July 2014, broke one of its lid axis after being commonly used after 8 months.
    2. I need the computer to be reliable because I mostly take it out as a moblie workstation rather than put it at home as a desktop.
    3. The original primary disk of this model is Sandisk X400 256G M.2. Is it worth to replace it with a Samsung 950 Pro Nvme SSD for 120$ more?
    4. The original configuration is enough for me (i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, GTX 1070, 256G SSD+1 TB HDD, Intel AC8260), how long will I need to get my computer if I order it on Black Friday (I'm in the United States)?
    That's all my questions about Clevo P650RS-G. I will appreciate for your answers!

2. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    1. In what regard? An unexpected failure is just that... Unexpected. It's unlikely to fail but it's always possible with any laptop. I have an RS, but I haven't gamed on it with the lid shut. Temps are quite good though.
    2. It should be fine for that as long as you don't like throw it or drop it... If you treat it like an expensive device it'll be fine.
    3. No not at all, 950 pros are terrible terrible value.
    4. Why are you ordering it on Black Friday? Do you know of a sale ahead of time? I don't think Clevo always has products on sale then...

The lid is one of the weakest points of the P650RS. The chassis is extremely durable but the lid has a decent amount of flex. It shouldn't like break off, but I make it a point to not like rip it open or closed.

3. bryanwuAC

bryanwuAC Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for your replying!
    1. I definitely will treat it as an expensive item, then that will be fine.
    2. Regarding the SSD, is the original SanDisk X400 good enough? I see the description of this SSD is TLC, so I just worried about its usage age.
    3. For best order date, did you mean that there will be a sale a few days before the Black Friday or there won't be any sale at all in these days? By the way, how long do I need to expect get my computer after I order it?

4. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Check this bro:
    EVOC P650RS-G 15.6" Custom Built Gaming Laptop w/ nVIDIA GTX 1070 w/ G-Sync

If you get it from HIDevolution, you get faster RAM options up to 3000 MHz. DDR4 not available from other resellers, you get very high quality checks and customer service to ensure you receive a laptop that works 100% out of the box and soon, once the Prema BIOS and VBIOS are out, they will flash them for you remotely for free.

Benefits of Prema BIOS:

• The ability to disable other drives connected to your system without physically removing them from your laptop, this comes in handy when installing Windows as you never want to have more than one drive connected at the time you are installing Windows otherwise the Windows setup will place the boot files on the 2nd drive it sees which hurts performance and makes it a headache when creating system images or restoring since the boot files are not on the main drive.
    • The ability to overclock, increase Turbo Power Limits and System IA/Core Current Limits
    • The ability to enable Intel Speed Shift Technology (it is disabled in the stock BIOS)
    • The ability to run RAM with speeds higher than the standard 2133 MHz. I am not talking about overclocking here, I am talking about actual RAM sticks that are rated to run at 2800 MHz for example like the G.Skill 64GB 2800 MHz kit I have. With the stock BIOS, they will not run above 2400 MHz. In the case of the P870DM3, the stock BIOS now supports up to 2666 MHz. I believe but not more, so the Prema BIOS is a must again
    • The ability to enable CSM for those who want to install other OSes like Windows 7
    • The ability to undervolt the CPU as the stock voltage is way too high which causes the CPU to overheat much quicker and thus throttle under load.
    • The ability to enable or disable CPU AES instructions or Virtualization
    • The ability to disable hibernation from the BIOS

Benefits of Prema VBIOS:

• Power throttle disabled
    • Over-voltage slider enabled and adjusted (up to a maximum of 1.2v)
    • Activated and adjusted thermal slider (to keep it cooler if desired)
    • Core overclock slider limit raised
    • Power consumption meter activated
    • Fixed 3D voltage base-line in order to stabilize OCs and voltage-match both cards in SLI systems (based on average ASIC)
    • Thermal protection @ 92c (once*91c are breached the system throttles volts and clocks in order to protect it)
    • Protection against Furmark and Kombustor GPU burnout (AVOID those software even with stock vBIOS)!
    Regarding SSDs, they are all fast to be honest and one would only notice a difference in synthetic benchmarks or when copying huge amount of data from one drive to the other but in general, they're all super snappy. Depending on your budget off-course, if you can afford it, go for a 950 PRO like me or the newly released 960 PRO (a bit more expensive)

Also note that as an NBR forums member, you can get your forums discount if you email donald@hidevolution.com with your order/specifications

Also see this thread:
    HIDevolution - The Best Company I ever dealt with

5. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Yes the X400 should last you plenty long. 320TBW life.

No I mean I don't know what sale there will be. Computer sales have sucked the last couple black fridays. I wouldn't count on a discount on too much. Order length depends on who you get it from, it can vary depending on what they have in stock etc... Probably at least a couple weeks.

6. bryanwuAC

bryanwuAC Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you so much for your answer. I think my choice is clear now!

7. bryanwuAC

bryanwuAC Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you! I will contact you if I'm ready to order one!

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  8. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    oh don't contact me dude, I'm a forum member just like you :eek::p

It's donald@hidevolution.com that you want to contact

9. bryanwuAC

bryanwuAC Newbie

Reputations:
    No problem. Thank you!

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
Thread Status: