[Solved] yet another M18X ... no backlight on the screen, just dark image...

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by UltraGSM, May 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wheth4400

wheth4400 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That would be exactly what I would be concerned with, but the only way to know for sure is to call. I have never had to deal with Alienware under you specific scenario so It hard to say what they will do, I guess it is up to the luck of the draw, but it is worth a shot. I would imagine though that what they would do is send out a replacement screen assembly and replace that to fix the problem. If there are still issues then problems might arise. Good Luck!

2. UltraGSM

UltraGSM ...so many Alienwares...

Reputations:
    I am just too afraid do anything with it looking under the function keyboard module now I have noticed heavily modified - cut apart said GTX560m heatsink and thermal pads visible out of alignment, there is just too much wrong things with it from the moment I got it, I dont feel like Im even going to take any chances wasting my time or chancing my luck with warranty services after seeing so much of altering, this is very dodgy unit I got and I've just learned my lesson the hard way this time.

3. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Sounds like you got ripped off. Hopefully you did not pay too much for it.

Give Alienware a call, though - you never know.

4. UltraGSM

Reputations:
    well no I didnt pay too much it was 1000$ incl delivery, see one in below my sig... but still, this sucks big time

5. Codenamefa

Codenamefa Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Honestly for 1k you really didn't get hosed we just need to get you a replacement display which I think is on the component forum fs right now for like $80 and we can get the right cpu and wlan for you as well so your warranty still seems good to them. Honestly they just check to make sure it has the right parts. The parts themselves don't have serials on them

Nevermind I stand corrected the screen is no longer available. never the less you just need to get the parts and warranty shouldn't bug about it. 1 cpu and 1 wlan, your talking maybe a tops of $200 to make it right.

6. UltraGSM

Reputations:
    yea for ~1500$ total I'd been rather getting refurbed m18x R2 from ebay... thats what hurts my eye

7. Rotary Heart

Rotary Heart Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Perhaps, but you could get it worst... If you want a pc without problems, or easy to solve problems go and buy a new one from Dell. You couldn't expect it to run like new for $1,000.

8. UltraGSM

Reputations:
    well I was expecting it to run at least as described

I didnt expected it to run like new, I knew I was buying it used but in good working condition.

If I go and buy new one - I will do when M18X R3 is out and you can follow my sig for that.

I have had 3 x R2's already, and its all same to me R1 or R2 for what I was intended to use it for, so I wanted basic m18x with "as long as it works" specs and I lost doing it all together

9. UltraGSM

Reputations:
    Ok, so good stuff lads and ladies!

took a good search on how to disassemble the LCD and just as you would expect least I have found this:

Reinstalled the cable, added extra bit of adhesive tape to lock it in place and VIOLA !!! Screen works!!!

MASSIVE THANKS goes to our master of knowledge and experience Mr.Fox

Very useful guide by Mr.Fox on how to take apart M18X LCD assembly easily:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/ali...-lcd-lid-replacing-lcd-cover.html#post8804694

Now I feel confident inspecting the rest of the machine and begin reinstalling!

Thanks everyone for everything, and especially thanks to our sensei - Mr.Fox

@ MODERATORS - PLEASE MARK THIS THREAD AS - Solved!

10. AlienMike818

AlienMike818 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Gotta love this forum, great job! :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.