[SOLVED] WTB Alienware 17 r1

Discussion in 'Want to Buy Forum' started by Wingolf, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Wingolf

Wingolf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    EDIT 12/22 - Got one off of Ebay pretty cheap for the config it had, don't need two :p Also i dont know how to edit the title of this thread so uhh if someone could tell me.

Barebones/Already including the upgrades i want preferred, but i'll look at any of them.

Preferred - (Barebones would be even better tbh)
    CPU - 4930mx - 4940mx is too much extra money for too little performance gained over the 30.
    RAM - 2x8 or 4x8 is ideal, im fine with 4x4 or ramless
    GPU - Any really, 780m or 880m would be nice since they are compatible with w7 and still above minimum gpu requirements for the most part, im fine with others or none though.
    LCD - Any of the EDP ones are fine, im probably going to end up replacing it with a 1440p that is compatible as far as i can tell (3.3v 40pin 4 lane-EDP 17.3in, if anyone has expertise in this area i'd love to hear if that sounds feasible)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    Rengsey R. H. Jr. likes this.
  2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    4940mx should be avoided anyways, on average lesser overclocks than the 4930mx.

Avoid the 880m, unstable most of the time and overheated. An overclocked 780m is just a better performer and more stable.

There are no 1440p options for the 17 R1, couple of people have tried it but I cant recall the specific panels they tried. I mean best of luck, just more negative than positive results so far. N173HHGE-32 does work though its 1080p.

Best of luck on your search!

Papusan and Wingolf like this.
  3. Wingolf

Reputations:
    I swear i've seen you in every thread i've ever read here, +1 for sorting by new :p . Were the 1440p attempt threads here or somewhere else, i searched for a while here but didnt see anything.

Thanks for the luck(Also nice icon, Tohru=best girl)

4. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    The Ranger is bar none my favorite laptop and this is the only forum I participate in now so if I see something I can put my .02 in I usually do. Though it might've been better for me to PM since this an ad so I apologize for that.

I think if you look at the 3D 120hz upgrade thread there might have been some discussion of it in the later pages before someone modded the Ranger to accept the N173HHE-G32 panel. IIRC someone commented that it didnt work, usually if someone tried something it and its not here or a chinese forum then its usually feedback from Reddit.

Love me some Tohru, though most people love Kanna lol

5. Wingolf

Reputations:
    Moving to PM, probably a good idea :p

6. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    How much are you looking to pay for a barebone ?

7. Wingolf

Reputations:
    What kind of condition is it in, and how much do you want. Also which screen does it have

8. Wingolf

Reputations:
    Also this is my first time buying stuff on NBR, i take it we talk in the thread so everything's public? Or do we PM eachother and just make a buy thread if/when we finalize the deal.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. likes this.
  9. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
  10. Wingolf

Reputations:
    still taking offers if anyone has one for sale