[SOLVED] RAM problems after Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by nimbot3, Aug 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nimbot3

nimbot3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey

I have an Alienware 13 R2 laptop with Windows 10 64 bit OS. I have 8GBs of stock RAM available in the system with supposedly 7.90GB usable RAM. Unfortunately, after updating my windows 10 with the anniversary update, my full RAM is not being used up. For example this is what appears when I look at system info in CMD:

Total Physical Memory: 8,089 MB
    Available Physical Memory: 5,161 MB
    Virtual Memory: Max Size: 9,996 MB
    Virtual Memory: Available: 6,985 MB
    Virtual Memory: In Use: 3,011 MB

This is causing a lot of problems with games like Rainbow Six Siege completely crashing because my RAM fills up according to my task manager. When I go to system in control panel, I can clearly see 8.00 GB (7.90 usable) as my RAM so I'm confident its being detected. Just that its not being used.

I've also updated my BIOS to the latest version in order to try and solve the issue but I can't seem to fix it. I recently had a BSOD with an error message saying DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL while playing R6 Siege after updating my BIOS. Would be great to hear some solutions for this. Worse case worse, I'll call the Dell Pro guys but it'll be great if I could fix it cause they only open up on Monday :/

Thanks.

hmscott likes this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Open msconfig > Advanced Options, untick memory size checkbox and Hit Apply then reboot.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
    hmscott likes this.
  3. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Not 100% sure what you are asking here.. But Total Physical Memory and Usable RAM are the same exact thing. 1 GB = about 1000 MB, so 8000 MB = 8 GB

With the new Win 10 updates; you are probably using more RAM for the operating system; hence the available memory only being 5GB. You may find new services activate on startup too.

Too free system up of some ram, Go into TASK MANAGER on the STARTUP tad, and dissable things like SKYPE, ITUNES/APPLE help, and pretty much anything non essential. Everything still will work; but it wont start till you start it yourself (Example: no reason to auto start skype as a background task when you can just start it by launching the application)

To be blunt 8GB RAM is barely enough for a Windows 10 gaming system. I would go on Newegg or Amazon and get 16 GB of ram (about $80)

4. nimbot3

nimbot3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was playing totally fine before the anniversary update :/ Now it just keeps telling me my memory is full and then later crashing. In terms of startup programs, I never let any 3rd party program open as I start up my PC to speed up boot time.

In any case, I've read some posts that the anniversary update uses some more resources. I currently have 2 slots full of DDR3L RAM (2x4GB). Can I get DDR4 RAM or do I need to get the same type?

It's already unchecked :( Windows is just swallowing up 2.6GBs into oblivion and I don't know why.

5. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You need the same type of ram.

6. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Have you tried uninstalling Intel GPU driver using DDU and check if available RAM is back to normal? You could use RAMMap of SysInternals Suite to check RAM usage.

7. Alienware-L_Porras

Alienware-L_Porras Company Representative

Reputations:
    Can we get some screenshots of the performance tab? I'm also thinking it may be that the new update requires more RAM and keeps it "locked" for Windows use instead of just grabbing it when it's needed.

8. LVNeptune

LVNeptune Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    In my 15 years, this error message 95% of the time indicates failing RAM. I am betting money if you boot up on memtestx86 and leave it running for a few hours you will get errors.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Vasudev likes this.
  9. DeeX

DeeX Liquid Hz

Reputations:
    Also reseating your RAM is worth a go. Stuff happens. I have seen it.

Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  10. Vasudev

Reputations:
    I'd also advise to check for Intel Rapid storage driver and intel smart response software updates. It happened to me as well, IRST was causing this BSOD after upgrading to w10.

hmscott likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.