[Solved] Gaming Problems (Cause: GPU Overheating - Resolved by Cleaning)

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Firanai, Sep 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firanai

Firanai Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i installed this:
    -nVidia GeForce GTX 460M
    GTX460M Vbios A02 ISO image
    GTX460M_vbios_A02.iso
    This file format consists of an archive of files that may be decompressed to a directory on the hard drive. The installation can then be done from that directory.
    HTTP
    8MB
    and this one:
    -Dell Dell Alienware M18X System BIOS
    Alienware M18x BIOS
    Hard-Drive
    M18xR1_A05_W32_X64_ZPE.exe
    This file contains a compressed (or zipped) set of files. Download the file to a folder on your hard drive, and then run (double-click) it to unzip the set of files. Follow the instructions to complete the installation.
    HTTP
    3MB
    Both were in big red letters "Urgent" i dont know about the batery i will try out now and inform you.

2. TurbodTalon

TurbodTalon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You updated both the system BIOS and the GPU BIOS, so that makes a lot more sense. Again, I'm glad you got it sorted out. There is nothing more frustrating than a system that is not performing well.

3. Firanai

Reputations:
    nope, now it suddenly goes up and down up and down with the fps, the only thing i can think of is a temperature problem, the left upper corner of the laptop goes crazy hot compared to rest of the laptop, i have observed using the speedfan temperature program that one core went up past 70 celsius when i was playing, do you think that could be the real problem?

4. sponge_gto

sponge_gto Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    speedfan reads the DIFFERENCE between the current temperature and an assumed Tjmax of, I believe, 85 degrees C (unless you enabled the "Dell mode"). Hence you need to adjust accordingly for your own hardware. For eg, if your actually CPU Tjmax is 105 degrees C, I'll add 20 to the speedfan reading so 90 celsius for you?

You could try using other programmes that have straightforward temperature readings such as HWinfo, Throttlestop, Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, etc but a temperature just above 90 degrees alone should not cause erratic behaviour.

You might want to use that Throttlestop programme to prevent Throttling, just read the documentation that comes with it.

5. Firanai

Reputations:
    thanks for the aclaration, then i officialy have no clue as to what is the cause, i will try contacting dell and if not then i would have to take it to have it checked.

6. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Run ThrottleStop in monitoring mode with the Log File option checked. Go do some gaming for 15 minutes and then exit the game and exit ThrottleStop when you are done. Copy and Paste the log file data to Pastebin.com - #1 paste tool since 2002! and post a link here. I think the 460M runs hot and that can trigger CPU throttling to cool the system down. A log file will show what is going on with your CPU and whether it is running as Intel intended.

7. Firanai

Reputations:
    ok guys i have contacted dell and i think that the problem was the overheating of my graphic card all allong. The tecnician made me run a program called CPUID hardware monitor, wich monitors the temperature and voltage of the computer, i have observed that while playing games the temperature of the graphic card suddenly rises over 80 at wich time the game fps drops , then the fan of the card starts going faster and it cools down making the game run normal again...only to heat up and repeat the process again. while i wait for the response of the technician i have two questions:

a) why does it happen?
    b) is there any solution?

thanks for your help.

8. TurbodTalon

TurbodTalon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Download HWInfo32 and run it. You'll see all of the numbers associated with your components. Down at the bottom of that window is a little fan icon. Click it, set the slider all the way to the right and hit the 'Set Manual' button. You should hear all of the fans spin up to a near-deafening speed. They'll stay this way until you close the program, or hit the 'System Auto' button. See how high the temperatures go with the fans at 100%.

9. Firanai

Reputations:
    ok thanks, dell hasnt ansewered me yet, i will try it and tell you

10. Firanai

Reputations:
    ok i have tested and it works, the problem i think is that the graphic card top temperature is 90ºC. Because of how much the game demands it raises in temperature to quickly, goes to 90 and then it has to cool down. But with the fans at top power i have no problem playing at all, the temperature stays stable between 80-85 ºC. However im concerned, is it ok for the fans to be at top speed all the time when im playing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.