[SOLVED] Evoc Clevo P870KM1-G No longer boots if using all 4 memory Slots

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Dr. AMK, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK The Strategist

Reputations:
    I can use only slot #2 and 4 single channel, once I install the other 2 modules to slot #1 and 3, there is no boots. I'm using 4x16gb Kingston 2400. Those modules were working just fine before I removed them to test another RAM's, once I installed them back the problem happened. Now I'm using only 2x16GB single channel and I'm trying to find how to make it work again.

Any modules used in slot #2,4 is working one or both, any modules installed to slot #1 or 3 never boots.

I tried to reset the BIOS (Prema) many times with the same result. No OC nothing and everything in stock settings.

I'll really appreciate ff someone can tell what me how to fix this.
    Thank you in advance.

Vasudev likes this.
  2. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK The Strategist

Reputations:
    Anyone?
    Is this mean the MB has a problem? or BIOS issue? the same modules was working fine in the same laptop?!

3. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You posted this when almost everyone is sleeping in America. Don't expect fast replies after midnight.
    Also the TM1 thread may have been a better place to post, though I'm not sure.

Are you saying if you install ONE dimm in slot 1 or slot 3 it doesn't work?

Did you fully remove the power before doing this? Did you unplug the battery? You're not supposed to service a laptop with *any* sort of current going anywhere.

Did you try removing the CMOS battery completely and waiting?

Try Deoxit D5 on the non working RAM slots and see if that helps.
    You may have shorted out something.

Also check the CPU for bent pins.

Vasudev and Dr. AMK like this.
  4. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK The Strategist

Reputations:
    Thank you for your kind reply.

Sorry it's a KM1.

Yes

Yes

I tried with the battery removed and installed, the same result.

Yes, I reset the BIOS with all known ways including removing the CMOS battery.

I'll try this.

Maybe, how can I check that, the laptop with the other ram slots are working great passing all kind of stress testing.

I'll do check that if all other possible options will not fix the issue.

I just tried even flashed the modded TM1 BIOS to see if it will fix the problem, and the problem still the same. Only single channel slot #2,4 is working the others are not.

5. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    Deoxit D5 is probably the only way to fix this, besides a complete and full disassembly of the motherboard and reassembly.
    If Deoxit D5 doesn't work, it's HIGHLY likely you shorted something, or there was some sort of defective trace on the motherboard. Failures like this are highly unlikely, but did you check the KM1 thread to see if a problem like this has been reported in the past? Because if this were more than just a one-off problem, someone else would have probably found it by now.

In desktop motherboards, bent CPU pins can stop some RAM from being detected but usually will not cause a failed POST. Laptop systems are FAR less robust and any little thing can stop a system from working and even Premamagic can't fix that. Even something silly like a disconnected fan cable, or a piece of ...spider goop on a MXM slot pin.

6. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK The Strategist

Reputations:
    I did your recommendation checking the pins, I found one pin missing as the attached picture, very strang it seems this damag from one of the previous owners, not from me for sure.
    But, with this missing pin the laptop was working just fine with all 4 modules installed.
    What to say... this is the Clevo mysterious issues.
    20180908_191719.jpg

Vistar Shook, Vasudev and Falkentyne like this.
  7. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    @Papusan ? @Mr. Fox ? @Prema ? Anyone have any ideas?

8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Would need to replace the CPU socket or mobo. That is in a really odd location, not really subject to damage and the other pins around it are fine. I bet that particular unit has had problems since the day it was built and probably shipped that way from the factory.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    Vistar Shook, Vasudev and Dr. AMK like this.
  9. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK The Strategist

Reputations:
    Thank you for your kind reply,
    Is that one pin that important to replace the mobo? it was working fine with 4x16gb even with this pin missing.

Vasudev likes this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    If there is no problem with functionality, then just ignore it. But, look around to be sure the broken piece is not laying loose to possibly short another pin elsewhere in the socket. Sometimes not all pins are utilized (as clearly noted by the P870DM1/DM3/KM1 using 8700K) and if that one it not utilized then it is irrelevant.

Vistar Shook, Vasudev and Dr. AMK like this.