Soluto, A Tool to Help Speedup Startup

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Jayayess1190, May 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Master Viking NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Yeah I had a streamline start myself it says it cut 15 seconds off, but of course its measure thing based on the 6 seconds it added when I installed it. Plus it seems like it takes a LOT longer to get onto my log on screen and it does not count that time.

Keeping programs from starting? Been doing that for ages with MSConfig and a few other things, would not bother with the program. What got me interested was the option to delay programs so they load when idle. So say photoshop I can have that load for me when idle rather than not have it start at all and thats pretty cool and why I am using it.

2. jpzsports

jpzsports Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I just found out about this program today and I have a few questions about it. My laptop running Win7 is pretty polished and I only have a few things in my startup (from MSCONFIG). But I'm thinking this might be a useful tool for my less experienced friends, etc.
    But here's my questions:

Most of us use MSCONFIG -> Startup Tab or CCleaner to narrow down the programs that are booting during startup. Soluto, on the other hand, seems to focus more on delaying or pausing services. While it does seem to turn off some startup applications, it's main goal is shortening the amount of services. Which brings me to a few questions:

While I do believe that adjusting the startup programs from boot using MSCONFIG or CCleaner is important, I'm not a big fan of disabling services (especially on Win7). Maybe I'm incorrect on this but hasn't it been shown that it's not worth turning off services since they barely affect the boot time? But according to this program, you can shave off minutes of your boot by disabling some services.

Any thoughts?

3. ronnieb

ronnieb Representing the Canucks

Reputations:
    This is an MSCONFIG for dummies... I have never used such an easy and intuitive program to reduce start-up times and I recommend it to everyone! Was about to start a new thread when I saw one already up. I shaved my boot time from 2:06 to 1:35. It allows you to stop programs from launching, and there is also the option to "delay" the program (launch the product when the PC is done starting up and is idling)

4. DarkSilver

DarkSilver MSI Afterburner

Reputations:
    Is this software really that powerful? I would like to try though.
    Or is it this softwares only disable those start-ups and services(which is not needed) by itself and improve the booting speed like that?
    If so, it's not so impressive already.

Long time didn't visit NBR, I am like a newbie now. LOL.

5. Ecar88

Ecar88 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I wouldn't call it "powerful" so much as "polished." The program does what it needs to, and with a very pretty interface. I agree with a lot of the above posts in that it didn't do much for my system; but mine is pretty streamlined as well. Like ronnieb said, it is indeed MSCONFIG for dummies. I won't be using it myself, but at first glance it seems like a great program for the computer-illiterate.

6. DarkSilver

DarkSilver MSI Afterburner

Reputations:
    i tested it. I was like OMG. Nothing special except it calculates how much and how long my booting speed was. Really made for dummies.

I used to play around with Registries, Services and Start-ups by myself manually. I don't need this.

Just uninstalled this software just now.
    Anyway, thanks TS for sharing this little software.

7. DetlevCM

DetlevCM Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    OK... so I gave this thing a look - even though I am against sending things off, I must say it does seem like an interesting tool.

I am not one for switching all sorts of stuff off - but it does allow the user some insight, and that's where the value lies.

MSN apparently slowed down my boot by 5 seconds if it starts automatically - quite interesting - yes, I use it a lot, but not always... so starting this manually makes sense.

Else - well, it interesting to use it to look at what launches - but I'm keeping all the Intel and NVidia stuff as I believe MS knows how to build an OS :)
    (And I don't want to risk loosing any functionality)

8. ScuderiaConchiglia

ScuderiaConchiglia NBR Vaio Team Curmudgeon

Reputations:
    To me this is the essence of what this app is all about. I applaud them for taking the approach of educating the users and trying to create a mechanism for sharing of knowledge. I hate "black box" tweaking apps.

Gary

9. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I haven't used Soluto, but I do think that by providing information on what the specific start-up item does makes the job easier to identify just how crucial is it to computer operation.

Ccleaner does tell you the name of the program for example, but even for me who is well educated about computers it is difficult to ascertain just what an unfamiliar program does (because at times, some of them are named in a 'gibberish' capacity and the directory location cannot always be a 'dead giveaway' - plus CCleaner doesn't give you specific info on what it actually does - although I AM familiar with most programs and their abridged names so I know for the most part on which are safe to disable).

If I see a program at start-up I'm not familiar with, I will use Google to track it's description down and ascertain if it's needed.

I personally don't need a Realtek Icon sitting next to the clock all the time because I rarely access the options to enable the echo effect for music listening (and when I do use those options, I usually use Control Panel to get to it).

I don't disable or delete the Syanptics program from start-up because on notebooks it has a tendency to disable the touch-pad (it happened several times, so I just decided to leave it from now on).
    Although apart from the Synaptics and MSE I don't have other things starting up with the OS (and this kind of set-up works on a lot of computers).

For other people when I'm modifying/cleaning their computers, I first have to see if they have any critical programs at start-up which are used for Internet connection and whatnot (because in rare occasions I encountered a problem of disabling a program at start-up that completely incapacitated the Internet for some reason - but that's because it was set up in the most stupidest way one could imagine).

10. wishmaster.dj

wishmaster.dj Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    gone are the days when playing with registries and using stuff like MSCONFIG was fun.

These days, these kids want to have everything easy.