[SOLD] NVIDIA GTX 980m 8GB G-Sync Prema vBIOS MXM - From Clevo P750DM-G

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by MKazmer, Feb 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luminaire

Luminaire Newbie

Reputations:
    hello sir Mkasmer, can you give me a link where i can download that specific premas bios for g sync ones?cant find a working link as links that ive searched here is not working anymore(dead link)...have the same gtx 980m 8gb with device id 1617 (g sync version) installed on alienware 17 4900mq 120hz, and it has a very low firestrike score of 7500..and maybe flashing it with that bios will solve the problem of throttling..i never tried to flash a bios before as im scared of bricking it, it is possible if i can directly flash it on a 120hz, disabled igpu? thanks in advance sir

2. Kwok Yink Woon

Kwok Yink Woon Newbie

Reputations:
    hi i have the same laptop but with a 970m. can you guide me as to which 1060 did you buy and also any guide to install the card in my laptop. my laptop is running prema bios. thanks in advance. cheers.

3. MKazmer

MKazmer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This one should work fine: GTX1060 MXM

I think that's the same version I used. As long as it's the standard mxm size, it should work. I didn't make a guide, but can tell you that you should buy some Gelid GP-Extreme Thermal padding in varied thicknesses in order to minimize stacking. Stacking thermal padding reduces its capacity to transfer heat from the card to the heatsink and out of your laptop The reason I say to use GP-Extreme is because some stacking will be necessary and the GP-Extreme has a high thermal conductivity so the idea is that it will still do its job when stacked. It seems to be working well, but I also used Fujipoly ultra extreme in some areas. I don't feel the Fujipoly ultra extreme is necessary, however, I got it for the same price as the Gelid so I went for it. I don't remember the exact thicknesses I used, however, I did make a diagram and posted it up somewhere. I will try to find it later, but you could find it just as easily if you look around. I might have posted it on another forum. You just want to make sure you have a solid firm contact between the heat sensitive components and the heatsink. As for the chip, use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. It's easy to use and highly effective.
    Once you get it installed, you will need to use a modded .inf for the NVIDIA driver.

Info on modding the .inf can be found here: Instructions for Modding NVIDIA inf driver file

Now, if you don't understand it or have a tough time, I will post an edited driver file here that you can use. Download it, unzip it and use the nvcvi.inf file inside by starting at step 8 in the instructions above.

* * * If you decide to use this file, it is specific to: driver version 390.65 For Windows 10 64-bit

On a final note, make sure you buy a new X-Bracket if the new card doesn't come with one. I've transferred an X-bracket from one card to another in a pinch, but I don't recommend it. You can easily damage a GPU if you aren't experienced with this type of work and it's just better in general to use a new one. You can find a cheap one on fleabay.

Good luck!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  4. Kwok Yink Woon

Kwok Yink Woon Newbie

Reputations:
    hi again. thanks for the speedy response and an indepth reply. however i do have some unanswered questions. currently my laptop is runnning prema bios. so for the 1060 do i have to flash another bios for the mobo? also was it plug and play with the 1060 or did you have to flash the vbios as well? can i flash the bios if dont have any gpu in the system? thanks again in advance

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.