[SOLD] M17x R2 - Less Than Barebones?

Discussion in 'Notebooks and Desktops for Sale' started by gizmo22, Apr 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gizmo22

gizmo22 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    M17x R2 - Less Than Barebones?

Price: $old to Rereg here on NBR

Condition: For parts or repair

Warranty: None

Reason for sale: More Than I Can Chew

Payment: PayPal, Amazon Payments, Personal Check, Money Order/Cashier's Check, Cash - Local

Item location: Madison, Wisconsin, United States

Shipping: Local pickup, Postal service, FedEx
    International shipping: No
    Handling time: Ships within 2 business days of receiving cleared payment

Specifications: Alienware M17x R2 in Black that was purchased on the forums here about two or three weeks prior. Purchased on the guess that it was a failing screen inverter; turns out I was somewhat correct.

Will preface all I am about to say with the comment that the prior owner/seller was very accommodating and helpful in attempts to get the system going. That said...

Had a broken media board - ordered a new one.
    Then found broken media board connector - ordered a new one.
    At this point in time I can get the system turned on, or so I think. No memory included, so I added some memory. Still nothing. Prior owner attempted to flash the GPUs with who knows what, so they were effectively bricked. Finally moved GPUs around within my systems, and found it was indeed a bad inverter. Problem? Not the CCFL screen I anticipated, but the RGB, so the inverter is built in, and not something I am comfortable replacing without a heat gun or blower dryer to remove glass. As a result, all of the following is up for grabs.

M17xR2
    No hard drives
    No memory
    No video cards
    720QM processor
    1920x1200 RGB gen 1 screen that needs replaced due to seemingly failed inverter; lights up for all of two seconds before immediately fading to black.
    Intel 6300 wireless
    Battery holds charge (hour plus, never fully tested as I couldn't get extended OS time in)
    Both dual pipe GPU heatsinks and Xfire cable
    Box included
    240 watt charger
    Two name plates - one generic M17x, one from previous owner

System is cosmetically a 6/10 with some scuffs along edges, primarily front of keyboard. Top lid in good shape. When internal screen is physically disconnected from motherboard, system will boot to external video and function fine.

Appraisal thread said $250-$300 tops plus shipping. $275 shipped OBO seems fair to me. Happy for a local deal as well.

[​IMG]

Imgur High Res Photos Here!

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
    reborn2003 likes this.
  2. ShadowOfScales

ShadowOfScales Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm interested, but don't have the money at the moment, will get back to you when I do. :)
    Edit: Unless you'd be willing to take a trade, I have an MSI, AMD 7970m MXM 3.0b card, I don't want it due to the fact it has no crossfire cable port, it functions perfectly.
    It's worth about $100 more than your laptop offer, so I'd take $100 with it if that's allright. :)

And just to clarify, everything is functional (when it has a GPU), but the screen?

reborn2003 likes this.
  3. gizmo22

Reputations:
    Would not be interested in the MSI card on trade unfortunately. With the internal display unplugged, I was able to boot into an Ubuntu live CD and run it for a few days.

4. ShadowOfScales

ShadowOfScales Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Okay, well, if it isn't sold, remember my interest, I may buy this within a month or so. :)

5. gizmo22

Reputations:
    Sold and shipped to Rereg sans keyboard and with 3x2GB memory (1600/1333 hodge podge).

6. Rereg

Rereg Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I received the m17x r2 today and it looks better than described. Everything was there as described and I'm quite pleased with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.