[SOLD] HiDevolution EVOC 16L-G-1080 (AKA Eurocom Tornado F5 / MSI 16L13)

Discussion in 'Notebooks and Desktops for Sale' started by hfm, Aug 18, 2018.

1. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You can get a 120Hz 1080p panel, you also need the 30-pin cable as well since the 4K panel is 40-pin. I'ts entirely possible there's some 144Hz panels out there that are 40-pin, I never looked.

@Mr. Fox has a guide on YouTube I think showing how to change a panel in these, it's pretty simple you just need the tools and some care.

Dr. AMK likes this.
  2. TheChosen0ne

TheChosen0ne Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    This thing would have been long gone if you had posted this about 2 years ago (summer of 2017) as I was looking for this exact model for the start of university. It had only been within this year and last that a lot of 16L13's have been popping up, so perhaps the influx of supply just hasn't met the level of demand that existed when it first came out in 2016.

3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yes, I certainly do. And, it is very easy. I would not recommend going 4K on a laptop, especially not with a screen under 17-inch. Unless you have already owned and loved it (a few people have) going 4K on less than about 27-inch display is a pretty miserable experience for most people.

With the desktop CPU and GTX 1080 MXM GPU this little monster will still run circles around most of the 2019 15-inch BGA turdbooks on the market. And, this model is really well made and easy to work on. Since everything is modular, you don't have to toss an assembly into the garbage and spend $1500 on a motherboard/CPU/GPU soldered abortion if something fails. Newer isn't always better.

TheChosen0ne, hfm and Dr. AMK like this.
  4. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK Living with Hope

Reputations:
    He can just set the resolution to 1080 instead of 4K and use the same screen and enjoy the IPS quality, is he needs to replace the screen?

Mr. Fox likes this.
  5. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I was often playing games at some resolution less than 4K. 1800p and 1440p were good choices.

You just CANNOT BEAT using the desktop at 4K though. Everything looks so good. The 4K panel definitely has it's tradeoffs, but you can go down, you can't force a 1080p panel to go up. And if the game is not super intense, they will play well at 4K. I played a lot of games at 4K.

I will admit that if all you're going to do is play games and you don't care much about anything else, espeically if you are playing seriously competitive FPS, a high refresh 1080p panel is probably an overall better choice. There are pros and cons to each one that you have to figure out for yourself.

There is the super rare scaling problem with poorly written software, but those are rare circumstances.

Dr. AMK and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Well, I wasn't even thinking about gaming when I mentioned that. Reading text displayed on the desktop (such as icons and the Start menu) and text in documents or a web browser at 4K on a 15 or 17 inch laptop screen with 100% scaling is miserable. It's way too small, even if you have excellent vision. If you increase the scaling enough for the text to be a normal size, that jacks up other things, even on the Windows 10 turd OS that supposedly fixed that. And, applications not made for 4K often scale crappy as well. Setting a non-native resolution often works well in gaming, but it often produces poor visual results running other applications on the desktop. Since most people do other things more than they play games, that can be a real problem. Being able to comfortably read what is on your screen with normal display scaling is pretty important, LOL.

B0B and Dr. AMK like this.
  7. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I used 250% scaling at 4K and am currently using 150% scaling on a 16:10 17" 2560x1600 panel and they both look fantastic. Windows 10 scales extremely well. There are the rare apps that don't play nice, but it's so rare these days. Windows provides good APIs for this stuff, developers just need to actually use them. It's becoming pretty much a non-issue these days now that just about everything has a HiDPI panel.

Dr. AMK likes this.
  8. andrewff2

andrewff2 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sad that this kind of notebook cannot be shipped to Brazil :D this note is a beast...

hfm likes this.
  9. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Bump

10. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You should try posting this on the /r/hardwareswap subreddit if you haven't done so already. Most things I've posted here have sold over there pretty quickly, including my own former MSI 16L13.

Mr. Fox likes this.