Software for correct AVCHD conversion to MP4?

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Type 100, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Type 100

Type 100 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've got a Panasonic Lumix LX5, and I use it to shoot video sometimes. It's been set to output footage into AVCHD.

Wanting to get the footage into a more universal format I've been trying to convert the files into MP4s using HandBrake and AnyVideoConverter. However, both utilities seem to render the video at a higher speed compared to the audio, so there are synchronization issues. Also, the files end prematurely - when the video ends, the lagging audio ends as well.

Do you know any other utilities I should try for AVCHD conversion into MP4? Thanks in advance.

2. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Master Viking NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Handbrake Should Work, it maybe a setting issue.

I personally use MeGUI I prefer it to Handbrake its a lot more customizable and more advanced.

If you can upload a clip for me I will test it to make sure all is well.

3. Type 100

Reputations:
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing; maybe the audio-video sync settings were just mucked up. I'm pretty new to HandBrake and I haven't had to tweak it extensively until I got to AVCHD conversion, where I got stuck.

Thanks Vicious; I'll see if I can upload something by tonight so you could try your hand at it. Where should I upload? Do I do it directly here on the forum or should I host it somewhere? I have little experience in uploading video files.

4. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Master Viking NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Dropbox or Skydrive are both good things to have as personal storage space that allow you to share files. (I can give you a referral link to get extra free space for dropbox)

You can always use a 3rd party host like rapidshare or similar.

5. Type 100

Reputations:
    Been a while since I last replied, very sorry, but I did some tinkering with Handbrake 0.9.6 and I finally got the settings right for proper conversion to MP4 without my A/V sync issues.

Apparently you just have to make sure the output framerate matches the source material's.

I hope this helps!

And thanks Vicious - I never took you up on your offer to hunt down the proper video conversion settings but the offer is really appreciated :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.