So who preordered a Steam Deck?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Falkentyne, Jul 16, 2021.

1. NuclearLizard

NuclearLizard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's part of why I want it. Take some indies with me and my library of hand ripped roms. Lmao

hertzian56 likes this.
  2. thegreatsquare

thegreatsquare Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

I can't help but think of Steam machines when I see the Deck, more so when I see Valve wanting other vendors to make their own. There was two issues with Steam Machines. The first was game availability, which Proton has fixed for the most part. The other was the OS ...does moving to Arch fix this enough? Valve seemed to try to be an upstart against Microsoft around W10 launch and now again with W11. I think it's a gamble running basically the same play, but done better plus the portability factor trying to make the difference. I hope it works because it seems SteamOS 3 is a step meant to lead to something else.

I'm not sure if I'm going to buy one as I don't need the portability in this form factor at the moment.

SamuelL421 likes this.
  3. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Oh yeah, Steam Machines, I 'member those! This was the first thing that came to my mind. Maybe Valve will succeed this time better.
    Wonder if users will be able to install Windows on it though. IIRC Proton still lags in performance behind Windows (although there apparently are instances where it performs better).

Yeah lol. Looking at Nintendo camp it seems like it's a one big cult, which is hard for me to understand... Seems like they get the same Mario game every year and are extremely happy about it. But with Switch at least finally they started to get some variety like Doom 2016, The Witcher 3, Skyrim, etc.

4. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Nintendo makes great games that have super wide appeal and are usually worth the price of admission into their hardware. I'm not even going to try to argue that. I think at least branching out a little was smart to try to maybe get some of the money that was being spent getting an additional platform, it would probably convince some of the fence sitters that were considering it.

My guess Valve was like.. well.. we can build something comparable in power to a switch. They probably also had enough metrics from Steam installs of people getting those portable PCs that are similar to Steam Deck to try to get a read on how many people were interested in something like that form factor. Factor in how hard it is to get even a modest GPU right now and it's a sort of win. Though, they would have had to have been designing this years ago before that was a problem, you can't spin this up in a year and a half. Also makes sense why they have been continuing to put considerable effort into Proton.

killkenny1 likes this.
  5. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah that's a pretty high entry price to me, but at least it's more open than a switch would be ie more open OS/i/o ports, watch movies/tv from your own microsd etc I just think for that wide of a product, almost 12", you may as well get a very small laptop for more versatility sans high level gaming. The resolution isn't exactly killing it on this either. Seems like it'd be dumped in a backpack in a closet somewhere after 6mos to me. Unless you sit on transit a lot everyday where a small laptop might not be as easy to use. But I'm all for more manufacturers and systems.

6. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    Turns out, the SSD in the device is an M.2 SSD, not soldered on. But it supposedly is not meant for end-user replacement. It makes the base $399 model far more tempting than previously.
    https://videocardz.com/newz/steam-d...lot-but-valve-does-not-recommend-upgrading-it
    https://www.steamdeck.com/en/tech (now updated to reflect the socketed SSD information)
    Although, anyone pre-ordering any model now would be getting it at earliest Q2 of next year (Q3 for the 512 GB model).

Clamibot, SamuelL421 and JRE84 like this.
  7. Gov. Rick Perry

Gov. Rick Perry Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

This will be far more powerful than the switch and more like a base PS4 (Steam decks 1.0 ~ 1.6TF vs the Switches .15 ~ .4TF) . I think people forget the switch is running on an 6 year old architecture and doesn't support the more efficient and expanded feature set (VRS, Dynamic scaling Faster storage, etc). I love my switch and certain parts of the catalogue but imo they aren't the same thing whatsoever...this being an actual portable gaming PC.

8. NuclearLizard

NuclearLizard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yea, thats what I plan to use it for. I drive bus and if I get to pick my stuff right I have a 20-40 minutes EoL.

And can sit up to 12 hours a day in a bus or yard if I get cover. Lol

Throw some emulation on it and some AA and indies. Mmmm perfect. Lol

hertzian56 likes this.
  9. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's a pass for me. Never even heard of this thing until I noticed this thread. My switch which mostly just collects dust lately is enough for my handheld needs :))

10. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I don't think people that want a Switch care about its performance, it's about the Nintendo exclusives.