So when are we getting Area51m reviews?

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Zellio2013, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Zellio2013

Zellio2013 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm truly interested in battery life most of all. Yeah okay, probably lack thereof, but I'd still like to partially use it portably

I have a 15" 2017 macbook pro that's pretty much maxed out with decent battery life for those wondering

I want to replace an alienware 13r3 oled that's maxed out (well, 1.5 tb of ssd storage) with something that at least gets somewhat close battery wise

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  2. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  3. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    If you expect a gaming laptop to give you any decent battery life then you're looking at the wrong category of laptops!

The batteries in gaming laptops are just considered as a backup in the case of power loss or to move from one place to another without having to turn off the laptop. The battery simply cannot provide enough juice to the power hungry CPU/GPU in gaming laptops.

You might get away with an hour to an hour and a half of browsing the web / watching YouTube on battery provided you are on the power saver mode

Otherwise, look at thin and light laptops, those still give you good performance in gaming and have decent battery life like the MSI GS65 or GS75

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    Aroc, TBoneSan, steberg and 3 others like this.
  4. XxAcidSnowxX

XxAcidSnowxX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If I was to guess, 40 min AAA gaming or 4-4.5hrs browsing on the 144hz or 4.5-5hrs on the 60 Hz.

5. Zellio2013

Zellio2013 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Intel chips have their own gpus that can be switched to for light tasks, and this thing has a huge battery. There’s no way it’s going to perform like a desktop replacement from 2003......,,,,

6. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    While that is good logic to follow for a laptop cpu, the Area 51-m is using desktop cpu's and desktop grade gpu's. There is no confirmation that I'd found that the Area 51-m uses optimus. If it doesn't then it is always using the 2070 or 2080 even at the desktop. So my guess is 2 hours.

Something to keep in mind is just because optimus exists doesn't mean it just magically works. The Acer Triton 700 and the Asus Zephyrus gx501 ((First gen)) straight up did not have it. So the Area 51-m having it seems like wishful thinking.

Vistar Shook, Kalen and Ultra Male like this.
  7. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Not always, I was able to switch between the nVIDIA GPU and Intel GPU on my previous MSI GT73VR Titan Pro but with my current MSI GT75 Titan, MSI decided to disable the Intel GPU completely.

Again, if you're buying an Alienware Area 51-M expecting any kind of decent battery life, be prepared for a major disappointment. Even the Alienware reps said in their initial videos that this laptop's battery life is horrendous.

Papusan and jclausius like this.
  8. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It’s not even worth it to play with laptop unplugged as the performance is abysmal.

Aroc, TBoneSan and Ultra Male like this.
  9. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    At 10:17 in this review of the Clevo P750TM1 he mentions it only gets around 2 1/2 hours of watching youtube. This laptop only has an 82 watt hour battery. And this laptop has a 9900k in it. So that's a good example of what to expect for the Area 51m.

Ultra Male likes this.
  10. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Straight from the horse's mouth - Pick up the video at 4:46 or so (from Joe Olmsted, Director of AW Product Group Engineering) regarding battery expectations of the Area 51m

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    Vistar Shook and Papusan like this.