So what's the deal with modifying / unlocking BIOS / UEFI these days?

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Maleko48, Dec 7, 2017.

1. GreatD

GreatD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the explanation. Damm it sounds technical and not easily overcome....

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, but couldn't a seasoned modder modify a signed BIOS file in a hex editor or something if they know what they are looking for and what they want to change? I've seen people claiming successful mods of tightly locked systems but it is not easy by any means.

3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yup, they could. But, you would not be able to flash it normally. Modding breaks the signature, so you would have to put it on the chip with a hardware programmer. Doing that is not a big deal, but is scares the crap out of some people and it costs money to buy the extra stuff to do it. Depending on the original firmware setup, it can corrupt or brick the Intel ME. Some of the ODMs, like MSI, lock down (write protect) the ME region as well. The Nazi OEMs/ODMs are getting pretty efficient in their practice of behaving like scumbag dictators.

Maleko48 likes this.
  4. User32

User32 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Then don't buy from them. Play stupid games, win stupid prices.

Why people even bother with laptops in 2018 is beyond me.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  5. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm very happy with my Dell 7577, I think they got it perfect for once. It is plenty of power and control for me as well as excellent thermal properties, I was just asking since it had been a while since I last looked into modding BIOSes. My old ~2012 ish HP laptop had ZERO options and controls in the BIOS which still bothers me. At least with my Dell I can disable turbo boost, C states, hyper threading, and change a whole lot of other stuff if I want to. It's not everything I would like, but as a turnkey solution meant for the masses, I can deal with that.