So.....What happened to my dad's Safari?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Red_Dragon, May 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    My dad has GMC Safari that he uses as his working van it has been great he bought it new it 1999 and now in 2009 there are some visible problems present it has 200,000 miles what happened a couple of days ago his vehicle wouldn't even start so he had somebody check it and he got it fixed(the starting problem) so now it starts again....

Now here is the NEW problem, the problem is now that the vehicle starts when he accelerates the vehicle chugs like crazy and he has to keep gassing it.

then it accelerates fine sometimes(very few times) the acceleration is smooth and normal but most of the time(like 80% of the time) it chugs like crazy and tons of smoke comes out of the exhaust maybe the GMC is finally saying goodbye.............Any suggestions on what it could be?

2. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    Sounds like its getting to much fuel or not enough air. And what color is the smoke? Clean the air filter, try the spark plugs if they haven't been done in the last 50k or so. If its running really rough then one of the cylinders could have went out, or a head gasket.

3. Red_Dragon

Reputations:
    The smoke's color is white i will try everything you said the cylinder thing was the FIRST thing that came to my mind though.

I really appreciate the advice :)

4. K-TRON

K-TRON Hi, I'm Jimmy Diesel ^_^

Reputations:
    My mom has a GM safari. We had similar problems a year ago, less the smoke.
    The timing gear needed to be changed. The mechanic also recommended using synthetic oil. It has been running great since.

Your problem may be similar. However it sounds like the valves need to be ground and reseated.

It is very hard to work on the safari, since the engine is basically underneath the drivers/passenger seat

K-TRON

5. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    With the white smoke, I would be leaning towards a cracked head, or bad head gasket.

What does the temperature gauge say when it's running?

6. narsnail

narsnail Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    your van picked the pope!!!

haha what everyone else said, i just wanted to say that aha.

7. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    do u know what was done during the first fix? how well was the car maintained, mechanical-wise?

8. Red_Dragon

Reputations:
    He said he changed the Rotor and distributor cap.

I really appreciate the help guys again, he hasn't gotten around to doing anything as of yet(he has a honda ridgeline too so he is using that for work now)

9. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    i would really consider checkin the spark plugs and wires. if all of those things are workin fine. i would recommend checkin the fuel rail and pump for any clogs or malfunctions. if a solution is not found yet, then definitely get a compression check to see if all cylinders are working properly.

here's a link to what could be causing the white smoke. there are different shades of white smoke too, so it would be kinda hard for us to narrow it down to something specific. without more detail.

hope this link can help u some. get back to us and let us know after u guys do a few tests.

10. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    I would double check the firing order since the distributor cap was replaced. It is very possible that a few wires are out of order, or not fully seated. That would explain why it's running rough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.