So it’s going to be 2020 soon.......

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by IKAS V, Dec 12, 2019.

1. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    With new GPU’s from Nvidia and AMD coming out relatively soon what do you guys expect for next year? Even Intel might get into the GPU game and speaking of Intel we should see new CPU’s on the mobile side too. When and Where people?
    Here is where we speculate or fantasize about upcoming laptop tech for next year.

hmscott likes this.
  2. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    • AMD rolling out something closer to flagship level including ray tracing acceleration.
    • AMD getting a little more market share in notebook GPUs
    • nVidia scrambling to release something by EOY
    • Intel adding a couple more characters to their 11th gen cpu model numbers
    • Consoles including more memory, RT acceleration and SSDs being a huge deal and maybe helping out ports. (maybe a stretch to be laptop tech adjacent)
    • Intel maybe launching something 7nm
    • Intel NOT releasing consumer GPUs worth buying (or at all)

Prototime, IKAS V and jaybee83 like this.
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The big news might just be the Consoles for 2020, which will take on the lower to mid range PC's - depending on how powerful the AMD setup is for each, and it looks like heat is a factor - this "tower" design Xbox X suggests it needed more volume for clearing heat, but it's way too soon to tell much else. IMHO it doesn't really seem like a space saving design; it looks like a "stretch-box".

Xbox Series X - World Premiere - 4K Trailer
    #2 ON TRENDING 2,122,237 views Xbox Dec 12, 2019
    Introducing the new Xbox Series X*. Power Your Dreams. Coming Holiday 2020.
    Learn more at: https://www.xbox.com/consoles/xbox-se...

Xbox Series X: Holiday 2020's Xbox Scarlett Has Been Revealed
    xbox series X reveal.jpg
    Xbox Series X is finally revealed at The Game Awards 2019, and the former Xbox Scarlett will be released during the 2020 holiday season.
    BY CODY GRAVELLE
    DEC 12, 2019
    https://screenrant.com/xbox-series-x-holiday-2020-xbox-scarlett-game-awards-release-date/

I was hoping that with 7nm the APU (CPU/GPU?) in the Consoles would make it into laptops soon before or after the Consoles releases, along with similar AMD APU's for desktops. But, if it needs that kind of volume for heat dissipation - perhaps a good amount of "mass" too, that's not a good fit for thin and light gaming laptops.

AMD hasn't been pushing for mid / high end solutions for laptops - or makers haven't been pulling them in for creation of new models so far, I really hope that changes in 2020.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    hfm and Prototime like this.
  4. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hopefully it's like the previous consoles where you can have it sit in various orientations. Judging by how large a controller is I don't think it would actually fit on the same shelf that my Xbox One is currently using. (I can adjust them but I like to leave a lot of room for ventilation) Looks about 3 controllers and a smidgen more high.

I'm hoping their main push in this form factor is making sure it's DEAD QUIET. There's nothing worse than a console that has a loud fan. Nearly all gaming laptops don't focus on that at all (i can't stand it, the reason I decided to go silent laptop + silent eGPU, I'm happier than ever). I'm guessing with the horsepower they are putting in this unit it's going to have a decently high amount of power it has to dissipate. It's pretty clear they are aiming straight for competing with mid to mid-upper range PCs. I can't wait to hear more about specific specs. IMO consoles finally including solid-state storage is the true game changer. Well.. that and new graphics features like RT becoming what the devs can assume is a stable target.

They just have to keep the price just low enough that people will jump on it. If they give out free game pass for a year or two it'll probably seal it.

Should be SUPER interesting come end of 2020.

hmscott likes this.
  5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The Xbox Series models may have varied design specifics, but for now the image of that particular model's top makes it look like it can have only one physical orientation.
    gsmarena_002.jpg
    The open grate covers the top and has large holes for cooling ventilation. The orientation is perfect for promoting cooling through convection - just like the Apple "Trashcan" Pro - and that only had one orientation as well.

The problem was the Apple "Trashcan" Pro had limited physical volume to contain such potentially huge thermal generation, and baked GPU's - a lot of owners ran through replacement GPU's.

Hopefully the Xbox "Stretchbox" is tall and wide enough to have a large enough volume for silent convection cooling of it's contents - with large low noise fans.

A keyboard and mouse sitting next to the new Xbox Tall would have positioned it nicely as the PC it is. :)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  6. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Maybe they are targeting "pro" streamers...

hmscott likes this.
  7. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    MS has said you can use it horizontally.

https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2019/...rizontal-orientation-tv-space-vertical-design

What’s your current laptop and egpu set up? Like you my one pet peeve are loud gaming laptops and really considered going that route.
    Do you game on the laptops monitor or external screen.

hmscott and hfm like this.
  8. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    EDIT: that's what I expected, I didn't understand how they'd think that would fit it most people's living room setups without being able to place it horizontally. Where my TV is mounted is actually shelving we had custom built into an entire wall of our apartment. The TV is mounted on an arm in a section that holds roughly a 50" TV with small bezels. and we have some shelving built in below it that has plenty of room for components.. but even that is a little tall.. hah

2018 LG Gram 17 + Sonnet Breakaway Box 550W + Asus Strix RTX 2070 OC.

I play everything on the internal display at native res (2560x1600). Works great. You would get a little more performance connecting a monitor directly to the eGPU since the TB3 interface robs a little performance. The hit is less noticeable the higher you go in resolution as the scenario becomes more GPU bound. I'm perfectly happy with it though. Nearly everything but the most demanding games or features run near 60FPS at native res at ultra or high settings. Picking a quiet GPU was key, the Gram already has a really quiet fan, even when it's cranking at full. Granted nearly all games don't peg the CPU at 100% so it has some headroom to stay boosted most of the time. I think the trick to this setup working well is that 1600p becomes GPU bound and the TB3 hit isn't as noticeable as it would be comparing it to a desktop PC at 1080p.

One thing I will say is that if you play a lot of competitive FPS's it might not be the best setup as you will want some really high framerates and low latency. I pretty much play exclusively single player action/adventure/rpg games so I don't really care about that. I care more about being immersed in the environment and the story.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  9. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    The Xbox Series X is rumored to have an 8c/16t CPU @ 3.6Ghz and a ~12 Teraflop RDNA GPU.

It's smashing mid-range PCs if those specs are true.

hmscott and hfm like this.
  10. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That is a wildly optimistic rumor.