So did I fry mt G73SW- Vbios locking up

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by JayBGamer, Sep 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JayBGamer

JayBGamer Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I was gaming for about three hours and realized I needed to leave in ten minutes. So I closed out of the game and right away turned the laptop off(shutdown). Fans where running pretty hard as I have a conservative OC of 800/1600/1600. The highest I have ever seen my temps is 91C according to GPU-Z.

Now the gpu is locking up and giving a kernal error. Trying clean instal of drivers to see if it makes a diffrence. Any one else ever do the same?? I am so worried.

2. mharidas

mharidas VLSI/FAB Engineer

Reputations:

Remove the old drivers, Use driver-sweeper clean out the residual Nvidia driver related stuff and install the latest WHQL attested drivers.

3. JayBGamer

JayBGamer Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So didnt help, should i just send in RMA since I am in warranty or anything else I should try. Does OC void warrenty?

Also, does the volts going to the GPU normaly move. I dont remmember if it is stable? Mine has been at .81V when i first turn on and then jumps to .96V right before screen shuts down.

4. mharidas

mharidas VLSI/FAB Engineer

Reputations:
    As long as you have used software tools to overclock no problem. if you have modded your vBIOS to hard lock the 3D clocks then you need to revert back to the stock BIOS before sending it into RMA.

Your temps of 91C were also a little on the high side, the core GPU should have have run a little cooler given your OC clocks.

5. Kingpinzero

Kingpinzero ROUND ONE,FIGHT! You Win!

Reputations:
    It's an instant lockup? It's a bsod? It's a driver crash?
    A similar issue happens with win 7 sp1 and Msi afterburner OSD when set to vector 3d in the server app.
    If that so before attempting anything unistall Msi afterburner completely and don't keep any settings if it asks so when removing and see if the problem persist.
    This only if you have Msi AB installed and an SP1 os.

6. JayBGamer

JayBGamer Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have used the Nvidia OC tool. And this is the first time i saw the 91C. So I also used compressed air and got a good amont our dust out of the GPU side. If cold it works for about 5 min and the starts acting up. And it starts swith driver crash, then recovers a couple of times (sceen flickers) then screen goes black and it resets.

This is with the stock clocks as I have not clicked on the OC link on my desktop. I will try unloading the Nvidia OC tool and see if that helps. Also thought aboput doing a claen install of Win 7 to see if it makes a diffrence.

7. JayBGamer

JayBGamer Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Treid three diffrent Nvidia drivers and I am stil lgetting a driver freeze and then recovery. Time for a clean Win 7 install and see if that does it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.