1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

So... 7970M Driver Update

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Fwam, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Dotcom93

Dotcom93 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No changes in BF3, maybe even worse... I'm a little concerned right now.

2. Anddo24

Anddo24 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I installed this over my 12.9 drivers. Is that alright?

3. Fwam

Fwam Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Afterburner won't work, but things have improved. I did a fresh Windows 7 install, and simply installed the driver after everything else. Oh, and BF3 has been vastly improved. Will post something more meaningful soon.

4. Dotcom93

Dotcom93 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Everything else meaning every driver including the Intel and AMD graphics? Where did you download them? What version?

5. Anddo24

Anddo24 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yeah. No luck with the "-xcl" setting (rebooted and everything).
    I'm seeing performance increases across the board though.

I wonder if I can play Borderlands 2 with physx on med/high and not experience frame drops. That's the next test.

6. Fwam

Fwam Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just clean installed OS and everything on the Sager CD except for the AMD graphics drivers. I used the download link provided here and after a BSOD, I restarted in safe mode, then restarted normally. Everything has worked since.

Edit: I didn't address the intel issue. Clean installing Win 7 Ultimate, I didn't even bother looking up the intel drivers. Device manager showed intel there and a generic VGA device, which of course I downloaded the AMD driver for.

7. Srikar

Srikar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Check Caustic Caverns for me!

8. TrantaLocked

TrantaLocked Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I am seeing significant performance improvements for Saints Row 3! Sleeping Dogs demo is also super stable now. At least in the demo, FPS is well above 60FPS (with AA at normal), even in the more taxing areas.

Still the same GTA IV performance, mainly because that is a DX9 title and this current version does not include the DX9 improvements. My install steps:

1. Download the the AMD 12.11 driver here: AMD Catalyst
    2. Download the Intel HD 4000 15.26.12.64.2761 graphics driver: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21430&lang=eng
    3. Download Driver Fusion here: Driver Fusion - The Complete Driver Solution
    4. Uninstall all AMD files through the Catalyst manager (you can access this by going to the Uninstall a Program section in Windows and selecting "Change" on the AMD option)
    5. Restart, and install Driver Fusion
    6. Restart in safe mode (type in msconfig in run, go to the boot tab, and select safe mode), run Driver Fusion and delete both AMD Driver and Intel Display Driver files
    7. Restart in normal mode (uncheck safe mode in msconfig), install every component in the AMD 12.11 package
    8. Restart in safe mode (you have to one more time or you will get a BSOD on normal startup), install the Intel HD 4000 8.15.26.12.64.2761 driver
    9. Restart in normal mode and you will be good to go

*Update* I edited this to add Intel Display Driver. Make sure you do not delete the Intel Chipset drivers in Driver Fusion!

9. custom90gt

custom90gt Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nice got that up and running and GW2 seems to run beautifully. My only thing now is I can't get MSI afterburner to work anymore...

10. sigbin

sigbin Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi Guys!

Long time follower here.. but seldom poster as I seem to manage to find all my answers among the threads.. Keep up the good work and I'm proud of our community here.. =)

Just one question though, I didn't upgrade from the stock drivers. But when I uninstalled it to use these new drivers, It didn't uninstall properly. I got the question mark at the end. But I still went through, and used driver fusion. As the steps above. When It installed, I stilll got the question mark at the end. With the warning.

Is that okay? or should I re-do everything again?

thank you!

Sev