1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

So... 7970M Driver Update

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Fwam, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Fwam

Fwam Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Update? Such a friggin joke.

2. thescreensavers

thescreensavers Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There is a hotfix it should get released but when?

I am about to buy a new P150EM and the 7970 is at a great price point. So It looks like Ill just pull the trigger on it and hope for the best lol.

3. Silverfern

Silverfern Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i see you have the 9300 and the 3650m, i have that too as well before i got my p150em :D

4. Fwam

Fwam Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Pull the trigger if you dare. Buyer be-friggin-ware.

5. thescreensavers

thescreensavers Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    :D awesome how was the upgrade lol

Lol, scaring me into looking at the 675mx

6. Silverfern

Reputations:
    my 675m was great but i might be upgrading to 7970m or 680m if price drops on 680m or they fix enduro

7. Fwam

Fwam Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, we'll all testify that it's been a long wait... The reported gains are great, but how much longer are we to wait for this thing to perform as advertised?

8. sssgood

sssgood Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    lol I know! it was said to be out at the begining of october......we are approaching the end!!

9. kookiesandmilf

kookiesandmilf Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    amd said October, we still have ten days left.

10. misterhobbs

misterhobbs Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Relax, the issues will be ironed out.

11. TokamakH3

TokamakH3 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I used to be angry about this issue, but after the Q3 results and the layoffs, I'm just kind of... sad.

12. Sycraft

Sycraft Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I've more or less just stopped caring and hoping. My system works well enough that I can play games and all that, and it appears that is all I'm going to get probably. Oh well, lesson learned and it'll be nVidia for the foreseeable future.

Unfortunately this is pretty par for the course for me and ATi/AMD. I decide to give them another chance, and have good hardware that gets screwed over by bad software. So I go back to nVidia and stop considering Ati for awhile.

It is sad because if they keep it up, it'll eventually be an end to them and lack of competition benefits nobody, but I buy things for what works best for me, not for charity.

It is extremely disappointing, but as I said the system works, though not as good as it should, so I'll just deal with it.

13. Montage

Montage Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think the main lesson here is not to be among the first people to buy brand new computer parts. It will be a hard thing to remember that lesson though :p

14. Fwam

Fwam Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Lesson learned. I'll swear yet again not to do this ESPECIALLY with AMD. I'll break this oath within 2 years probably.

15. Silverfern

Reputations:
    i dont see a reason to not buy AMD products after they fix the enduro problem. if they pricing is very competitive and offers great performance, why not?

16. Fwam

Fwam Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Which is why we all continue to buy, then whine. However, the whining is justified I think. Don't over-promise and under-deliver.

17. hexum23

hexum23 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm sorry but this sort of thinking makes absolutely no sense. The 7970m should not have been released with these sort of problems. END OF STORY. We are not the ones who need to learn a lesson. AMD does. And judging from their stock price, all the lay offs, etc., they are (hopefully). If this was something that affected more of the mainstream, there'd be recalls, compensation and legal action.

18. Wonka_Vision

Wonka_Vision Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    AMD's been in trouble before, and they always get out of it. The industry needs AMD. Their stock prices are most likely the result of it being a turn over period (a new generation of hardware is coming out so people are holding off purchasing). They've also got hardware in all of the next gen consoles.

They said to expect a fix in October, and it's still October.

19. hexum23

hexum23 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I wholeheartedly agree that the industry needs AMD. Now is probably a good time to buy their stock. Just really sucks that they released a product that wasn't ready, and the company basically stuck it to us. Since we are such a small niche market of geeks, we don't have the clout to get these problems fixed quickly. We're going on, what, 5 months of this nonsense? Yes they said there'd be a fix in October, but as consumers we weren't informed of this at time of purchase. These laptops/video cards are advertised as state of the art with the most powerful graphics, not laptops with potential to be the most powerful because of the current sketchy drivers. I can't wait for the update, this week hopefully.

20. Wonka_Vision

Wonka_Vision Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Don't get me wrong - I'm not happy with AMD over this either. The only ATi/AMD product I've ever owned that didn't give me monstrous problems was the 128mb Radeon 8500 I had back in the day. Since then I kept buying their crap and I kept getting burned. Maybe it's poor luck on my part because I've always just happened to buy a product that they gimped in some way, whereas owners of another product were getting good performance/support. I'm about ready to completely swear off AMD over this 7970M disaster, but I'm hoping they can redeem themselves with the promised October hotfix.