Smoke came out of Alienware 17 2014

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Nikodemus82, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Nikodemus82

Nikodemus82 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    As the title states, I had smoke come out of my laptop today. It's the 2014 version with the 880M and an i7-4710MQ processor. I put in a 256 Samsung SSD that I had before I even bought the laptop, but other than that its stock.

I noticed it getting hot on the bottom left side while gaming, I think that's the CPU side if I'm not mistaken. I took it apart and pulled the fans out to blow out the dust hoping that would help the issue. When it didn't, I started researching how to re paste as I've never done that. I guess I was too slow as today a poof of smoke came out while playing D3. I opened it up and pulled the fan on that side and saw charring around where the fan connects to the motherboard I'm assuming. The insulation near where the power adapter plugs into the computer is also torn, but the wires weren't damaged.

Sorry for any incorrect terminology, not super tech savvy. I'll post pictures and input advice is welcome. I'm curious if I can replace the fan and "safely" try it out from there. IMG_1297.JPG IMG_1299.JPG IMG_1302.JPG IMG_1303.JPG IMG_1304.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Nikodemus82

Reputations:
    It looks like something next to the fan connection is fried on closer inspection... Am I looking at replacing the motherboard and all that? I've never done that so it's a bit scary.

3. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    don't you have any warranty on it to have a Dell technician do the motherboard swap for you?

@Papusan

Papusan likes this.
  4. Nikodemus82

Reputations:
    Unfortunately not, I bought this back in 2014.

5. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOK's = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    You can buy a MB, CPU fan and PSU if you still want to keep your machine. Not cheap but the other options(new laptop) are more expensive. You can do the MB swap yourself (or ask if a small repair shop can change parts on the MB you already have - Ask one of them). Here are a few links EBAY - Amazon - Parts-People And You will find more if you Google. A shot may be to test a new fan (if your psu still work).

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    Nikodemus82 and Phoenix like this.
  6. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 LHz

Reputations:
    @Nikodemus82 ask if you can extend the warranty, if so I highly recommend you do it. Few week later you can complain of this issue and Dell probably will fix it for you.

Obvious, but don't say that the laptop exploded when you buy the extended warranty.

Nikodemus82 likes this.
  7. Nikodemus82

Reputations:
    Could I try to start up the computer without a fan in that slot? I know it wouldn't be a good idea to run it for long, but I'm kinda curious if the motherboard is fried.

8. Papusan

Reputations:
    Could be that the firmware can register that the fan is gone. And will prevent fully post. You could try. Finally booted up in Windoze and you see the MB functioning, turn it off again.

Nikodemus82 likes this.
  9. Nikodemus82

Reputations:
    Thanks, I'll give it a shot. Just didn't want to risk messing it up more than it already is. I appreciate y'all taking the time to give me input. I'm competent enough to follow a guide or video with repairs, but I'm no modder.

I've had the computer roughly 3 years, and before I spend a bunch to repair it I wanted to see if y'all thought it was worth it. Could I still get a few more years out of the computer if I replace the motherboard and fan?

I know there isn't a clear cut answer, but I'm on a teachers budget.

Thanks again to a supportive community.

Papusan likes this.
  10. Papusan

Reputations:
    All good:vbthumbsup: It depends whatever you are happy with the performance you already have. New machines with proper socket hardware cost a lot more than fixing your MB-Fan(if you can obtain the parts for reasonable price, fix it yourself or a cheap repair shop). The fan isn't the huge cost. Almost nothing. Good luck.