small with Core 2 Duo, dedicated graphics

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by mccarron, Oct 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mccarron

mccarron Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm not too into gaming so the video card doesn't have to be killer, but something decent.

I want it to have a Core 2 Duo, I'm a major multitasker. I'm shooting for the 2ghz one.

I will use it mostly for general web browsing, watching videos, etc. I will also use it regularly to run Flash 8 Pro among other web design and photo editing programs. I also plan on doing some pretty serious video editing (no 3D rendering or anything like that though)

I would like it to be 14.1" or smaller.

Glossy (high res) widescreen is preferrable.

It'd be a nice bonus if it had a DVI port, as I will probably run an external monitor at home.

The more battery life the better... but I really only need 3-4 hours.

I really want a built-in webcam (no, I'm not a webcam exhibitionist)

As cheap as possible, but I'd definitely like to keep it $1500 or less.

Thanks for any help, and I know I've posted here before but my needs have been altered.

2. Daisai

Daisai Newbie

Reputations:
    I would say Dell M1210.

3. darthgervais

darthgervais Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  4. AP27

AP27 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think it'll be difficult to get the Dell XPS 1210 for around 1500$ if the Core 2 Duo, dedicated graphics and webcam are necessary (those are the options that cost the most on the 1210 anyway).
    I would recommend the Asus A8J series. I believe there are 2 or 3 models available with one more coming soon. 1 or 2 of them have or will have the Core 2 Duo option...and all of them have the webcam and graphics. Its a 14'1 widescreen as well. :D

5. Reize

Reize Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The M1210 and A8j as mentioned seem to be some of your best bets. The W7j could also be checked out whenever it's updated, though it doesn't have a DVI port.

The M1210 is available at costco for $1400 with both the webcam and dedicated GPU upgrades. I'm planning on purchasing it from there within the next couple weeks. It's not the 2.0GHz core duo, though, but there's always room to upgrade..

6. firstwave

firstwave Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sony Vaio SZ works... although it can be pricy

You can get one for less than $1500 from Portable One (T5500, 1gig, 80gig HDD, x1400) It also has XBRITE screen.

If you can pitch in a few hundred more, you can get T7200 which is 2.0. T5500 is 1.66 :(

1,699 is the one I am talking about. Free shipping though!

7. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    sony sz from sony.com definitely.

1500 with the t5500

8. mccarron

mccarron Newbie

Reputations:
    I had been looking at the Asus A8j, but I can't wait for it any longer. Both the Dell and the Sony look like great options, thanks.

I can't find the Sony with a webcam for 1500 though... any suggestions on where to look? Even Sony.com only sells the higher level versions of the SZ series.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.