Small notebook for occasional gaming

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by devize, Dec 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. devize

devize Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    1) What is your budget? Probably no more than 2k

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    I would prefer something between 11-12" and maybe 13" but smaller is better

3) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Internet, word, some gaming, hopefully a bit of photoshop

4) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games or types of games? I mainly play cs:s so I want something that will be able to play it pretty smoothly

5) Must be windows!

Edit: And preferably I'd like something with an optical drive

I've been looking at the Asus N10 but decided not to get it and instead get something slightly larger with a dual core processor. The N10 is simply not powerful enough for me to use. I want a laptop preferably 11-12". Are there any of this size with something like an 9600m? I've seen a few with an 9300m but seeings as the N10 has the 9300m surely an 11-12" should have something better than this.

2. jjgoo

jjgoo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    dell has a 13inch machine that is very nice.

3. Johnny T

Johnny T Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Well there is a LG P310 (13.3'') with 9600GT. But it is not available in the US so you;d have to find a retailer to import it.

4. David

David NBR Random Reviewer NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    The Asus U6Vc would be a nice choice for a 12". I'd recommend that over the N10. For a 12" notebook, the 9300M GS is probably the best you can get. If you want to go with a 13", then like others have recommended, the LG P300 would be a great choice.

5. geekygirl

geekygirl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What about the Sony Vaio Z or SR? Both are 13.1" and the Z has the Nvidia 9300M and the SR has the ATI 3470. Both are small and very light.

Thats if you can't get the LG of course!

6. gary_hendricks

gary_hendricks Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I concur with the Sony Vaio Z - if you're using it for occasional gaming, go for one of those - no need for the heavy monsters from Alienware and Dell.

7. devize

devize Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for your help guys I will look into the lg and asus, I've also seen a compaq with the 9300m but forgot the model or maybe I'll wait for better 11-12" notebooks (if i can wait :confused: ). As for nvidia bringing out 9400 for netbooks I think without a dual core processor they still won't be powerful enough and I don't think I can wait till next summer for them to come out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.