Slim and light 15" laptop with i7-8750H

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by vs40, Nov 5, 2018.

?

Which one?

1. Aero 15W (1060) on sale for 1799€ right now(normal price in Germany 2049€)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. MSI GS65 (1060) normal price 1799€, but it can get cheaper on Black Friday

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. Razer Blade 15 (1060 and 60Hz) normal price 1949€

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Razer Blade 15(1060 and 144Hz) - 2189€, but also can drop to ~2000 on BF

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. XPS 15, FHD, 16GB/512 - 1799€, but I'm sure that Dell will drop it to ~1600 on BF

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. XPS 15, 4K - 2099€, must be ~1800 on BF

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Another one (write in comments please)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vs40

vs40 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Friend of mine asked me for a help and I'm not sure that to advice.
    He want relatively slim and light 15" laptop with i7-8750H and 1050Ti-1060 GPU.
    Mostly for office work, but also for hobby level video editing and casual gaming.

I see next options:
    • Aero 15W (1060) on sale for 1799€ right now(normal price in Germany 2049€)
    • MSI GS65 (1060) normal price 1799€, but it can get cheaper on Black Friday
    • Razer Blade 15 (1060 and 60Hz) normal price 1949€
    • Razer Blade 15(1060 and 144Hz) - 2189€, but also can drop to ~2000 on BF
    • XPS 15, FHD, 16GB/512 - 1799€, but I'm sure that Dell will drop it to ~1600 on BF
    • XPS 15, 4K - 2099€, must be ~1800 on BF

Which one to prefer and why?
    Or other options?

He is ready to spend ~2000€.

2. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hi,

First of all, the Aero, while a great laptop on paper, it suffers from keyboard/firmware issues and has trouble cooling its processor. So I would rule that one out. Shame, since I really love the looks of the Aero.

The MSI GS65 is a great laptop, but you need to put liquid metal on the processor and video card to enjoy an unthrottled performance and long-term reliability. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but the MSI motherboard is flipped, meaning you have to take the whole thing apart to re-apply the thermal paste.

The Razer
    , you should only consider the newer version, the one with the 144Hz display and the Per Key RGB lighting. The Razer has a long history of poor hardware design choices. I think their latest Razer is a good laptop, but only time will tell if they learnt from their past mistakes. The Razer also needs liquid metal or some other good thermal paste for the processor to work well.

The Dell XPS is, on paper a good laptop. The XPS line has been plagued by QC issues, but generally those go away after a few months. So if you get an XPS which was made in the last 2 months, there shouldn't be any problems. Also the XPS 15 throttles the GTX 1050 Ti inside, so you will be getting less than your advertised gaming performance.

Here is a comparison between the 4 models: Gigabyte Aero 15W vs MSI GS65 vs Dell XPS 15 vs Razer Blade 2018. The video card rating is the performance score, relative to the GTX 1080 used in laptops.

I think your choice is either the XPS with lower performance, the MSI GS65 but you need to take it apart and re-apply the thermal paste and the Razer for which you don't know how long will last.
    Now don't get me wrong, these are not bad laptops, just pointing out the potential issues you will encounter with each one of them.

3. vs40

vs40 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Do you know another options without issues?

4. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I know the Tsinghua Tongfang GK5CN6Z has generally received much praise. However, they are new on the market, only 2-3 years I think. You can get them from mysn / XMG in Germany. They also are configured with a 3-year warranty.

5. vs40

vs40 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Loud mechanical keyboard is not appropriate in case of my friend.
    With regular laptop keyboard and TB3 it would be much more interesting option.

6. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm afraid that's the situation for the current market. It's a combination of factors, Intel's 8th Gen of processors runs much hotter than previous generations of processors. People want slim, light laptops, but a slim, light laptop will have a hard time cooling itself. People want silent laptops, but a slim, silent laptop will pretty much be an oven.

7. B0B

B0B B.O.A.T.

Reputations:
    I just reviewed the Aero 15x. Their software still gets updates and the keyboard in its current state is my all time favorite.

Have you seen this?

8. vs40

vs40 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    But if I understood right "Software Management" app is still buggy and can cause some freezes?
    And what you mean by tampering stickers? If case will be opened it will void the warranty?

9. B0B

B0B B.O.A.T.

Reputations:
    I’m hopeful that we will see a fix now that we have pinpointed the software source. It’s just a matter of communicating with gigabyte. Or perhaps I’m just a glass half full kind of person.

It’s my understanding that opening up your laptop by compromising those stickers does not void warranty unless you break something in the process. MSI does the same thing.

I do not work for gigabyte so don’t take this information as absolute fact.

10. vs40

vs40 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As a reviewer you can be more positive about it.
    You used it a little bit and sent it back.
    Regular user want to buy new laptop at least for few years and for many of them it will be main computer.
    Software/firmware updates sounds easy, but sometime user can wait for months and years to get(or not) a fix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.