SLI MSI 1070 MXM in P370EM... An adventure

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by bennyg, Jun 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    Their cards come without an SLI connector...

2. dellienware owner

dellienware owner Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    putting 1070m in sli in my p377 would be achievable?

3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Not without an SLI connector on the cards it wont. Plus then there is the card shape to worry about.

4. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wrong thread :/

5. johnbb

johnbb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just noticed that there are MSI 1070 with and others without SLI bridge... How can you make the difference between the two? Serial number or part number?

6. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I've seen the exact same cards that I've got (MS-1W0V1, ver 1.0, rev 02S) without the SLI connector so I'd say just looking at it whether it's got the white connector, or the black void with exposed solder points is the only reliable way to tell.

7. pugemasta

pugemasta Newbie

Reputations:
    I am getting conflicting info from Eurocom compared to what I've read in this thread. Hoping someone can help clear this up:

I would like to upgrade my stock np9370 with Eurocom's 1070. I would be perfectly happy without an internal display, relying on HDMI to connect to an external display.

This thread, In several areas, indicates that the HDMI port works without upgrading the display, LCD cables or MOBO. Is that the case with those of you who opted to not upgrade anything besides the GPU to a 1070?

The response I received from Eurocom, asking the same question, states that one would have to replace the MOBO + LCD + LCD cable for the HDMI port to be activated after installing the 1070. The reason they gave is that all ports related to video display are handled by dGPU that need eDP port to be active in order to activate other external display/HDMI ports.

Just looking for a little reassurance that, as this thread indicates, the HDMI port will work with the 1070, but without also replacing other components?

8. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I didn't need to replace the mobo (but it did have prema bios before I put the 1070s in). The same motherboard was used in the P370EM3 which had a 120hz eDP panel from the factory.

I had the GPU generating a windows desktop without any drivers or displays, internal or external, connected (which Teamviewer dsiplayed via remote desktop connection). Once drivers were installed, the external outputs worked with the right vbios. This was all before the eDP cable/panel arrived...

That said, I didn't use a Sager or Eurocom 1070, so whatever firmware specifics may be baked into those products I don't know.

this thread may have a link to successful NP9370 + Eurocom 1070 upgrade
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/successful-mxm-gpu-upgraded-laptops.805136/

9. johnbb

Reputations:
    Yes that's odd indeed! Two same cards with same part number but one with the SLI connector, and the other without it. It's quite unusual coming from MSI...

10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    I guess for them if they are providing it then it will be under the machine serial first so the same part number but for two different machines.

11. johnbb

Reputations:
    Yes you must be right. But still, how much does a sli connector cost compared to the whole mxm board ? Do you think it's possible to resolder it afterwards ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.