SLI MSI 1070 MXM in P370EM... An adventure

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by bennyg, Jun 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tanzmeister

tanzmeister Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I mean, have you tried each card separately? when I have both cards installed, both show error 43, no matter which card is primary. though one of the cards actually worked solo with the newest drivers.

upgrade installation only works to a certain degree, only one version above 375..

2. su35

su35 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  3. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    No that's for a Clevo Pascal MXM layout which is different from standard MXM.

Laptops are very specific about the heatsinks that will fit, only those from the same model can be used. The base chassis is the same for P370EM, P370SM, P375SMA, P377SMA; the GPU heatsinks for the later SM models are better.

4. su35

su35 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  5. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The CPU will lose a bit since it's missing that 3rd heatpipe, but the slave GPU will be better side it has the larger radiator.

There's also the tape mod to stop air escaping through gaps between fan and radiator; cutting holes in the bottom case below the fan intakes to allow unrestricted airflow; and liquid metal.

Checking flat close contact between heatsink and all components is the most important thing, adding a shim if necessary, changing thermal pad thickness are all very important. Heatpipes are easy to bend slightly to align properly, just be very careful and do it very gradually as they easily kink.

The only way to get a kink out is to heat it almost to bursting point so it swells up, and then gently hammer it back flat along its entire length, but as that will happen past the solder's melting temperature it's just big trouble. So don't kink them.

6. su35

su35 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    advise me liquid metal

7. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Google and you will find many guides here on NBR and on Youtube of people putting liquid metal on laptops.

Getting great heat sink fit is the most important thing to do first, you are then able to use less of the liquid metal and that means the less danger from it escaping.

8. TurbodTalon

TurbodTalon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    @bennyg I have no useful input for you, but I wanted to say that I read this whole thread from beginning to end in wide-eyed wonder. I've been tinkering with laptops for a long time, but I've never done anything as cool (or over the top) as you have here. Absolutely insane. I couldn't help but chime in. Your 1070 SLI setup is scoring only a few thousand points short of my 1080 SLI setup in FS graphics score.

Keep up the awesome work!

bennyg likes this.
  9. su35

su35 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    have sent me the 2nd card on there was PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1BE1, I have decided to put her one and at me were established modified the driver as here https://premamod.wordpress.com/2017/08/15/j95-nvidia-inf/
    it means that the card not from Vortex G65VR 6RE SLI? her stroke code 1W0V106S/002 168K097700
    and on the card from Vortex G65VR 6RE SLI a stroke a code 1W0V102S/008 167K259582

10. su35

su35 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    PZWPi06OYAw.jpg [ATTACH = full] 153970 [/ ATTACH]: Bigtongue:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.