SLI MSI 1070 MXM in P370EM... An adventure

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by bennyg, Jun 17, 2017.

1. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Someone asked for the vBIOS. Pulled straight off the chip by programmer. I re-read straight after and it verified OK, I had to hold the adapter clip down to keep the connection stable. Should be OK but maybe don't use this without a way to unbrick just in case it's bad

edit: wtf am i saying, you'd be flashing it with a programmer, nevermind...

Basic 2 piece one, 1st gen EM I think. I have two master GPU heatsinks one from a 7970M the other a 670M and they look identical (and identical to the heatsink in my P170EM)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    Tornator, jaybee83 and long2905 like this.
  2. Tornator

Tornator Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi bennyg

Is this MSI GTX 1070 card compatible with P170EM machine, what do you think? :p

3. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    bennyg likes this.
  4. steberg

steberg Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Deleted...

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  5. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I mustn't have flashed the Prema BIOS. I'm getting a 1.2ghz CPU throttle.

edit: nevermind, idiot me had it on a 230W adapter

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  6. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Some more mods... :)

Pre cut

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Post cut

[​IMG]
    -> gota bit close to going through there on the right. it's a bit more flexy than I'd like but I kept the screwhole at least.

[​IMG]

Sitting nice and flat:
    [​IMG]

I was a bit worried about underside components hitting the black ports where the pins from the audio board are, but that was ok in the end.
    I had to remove one of the standoffs on the rear. It was hitting the card reader which gave me an "oh s***** what have I missed" moment.

Next problem: the SLI cable.
    Since the cards are mounted at right angles, and the SLI ports are displaced on the MSI board approx 3mm further away from the 3.0b standard layout, and the cable is completely custom designed for the P370 chassis, this induces an awkward twist on the flex cable as the Master end is shifted towards the CPU and the slave end towards the slave fan. It required cutting out some additional areas on the CPU fan frame both near the Master card port and about halfway along the cable, so it wasn't contacting anything on an edge or with pressure:

Before (couldn't actually plug it in):

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

then after some more mods to the CPU fan frame near the RAM slots, it sits a lot flatter
    [​IMG]

The slave card tab does occlude the top SATA space just slightly... the bottom one is completely fine and can even be removed with the card in place. But a standard thickness drive in the top would be sitting on the card and be slightly misaligned in the port.

[​IMG]
    A mSATA-to-SATA adapter board would fit just fine though

All done!
    [​IMG]

NOTE: the core retaining screws on these 1070s are slightly bigger than those on the 670M/7970M. Lucky I disassembled an old hard drive and CD-DVD drive and kept the screws. They're torx head but they fit fine.

The placing of thermal pads was time consuming, the ridge at the back end of each heatsink means they miss contacting a little bit of the FET chips up the back, and if too thick a chunk is used they start hitting the chokes on the other side. I found the FETs required 4mm thickness, the chokes 0.5mm, and the memory 1mm thick. These yumcha pads are fairly spongy so a higher quality pad might need to be more exact.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    Ashtrix, SFVogt, long2905 and 5 others like this.
  7. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    First boot.

[​IMG]

-> right click, Update Driver, Select the Driver option, clicked the 1070 option, it took a while but installed no probs.

[​IMG]

Rebooted, opened Nvidia Control Panel, "Optimise performance" was selected, SLI was active!

Forced Kombuster to AFR1 in a custom profile, and voila:
    (note the low core util% and power draw I later figured was due to 1.2ghz CPU throttle)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    SFVogt, dspboys, long2905 and 3 others like this.
  8. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    Gtx1070 SLI? :eek:

9. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Bench scores understandably terrible since CPU is 1.2ghz after the first couple of seconds.

Graphics score on 3dmark Time Spy was on par with 980M SLIs. While horribly CPU and power bottlenecked. From stupid me running it on a 230W adapter by accident.

Yep. :)

sicily428 likes this.
  10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    When you said pre cut and showed the GPU PCB I thought you meant to cut the GPU PCB lol.

jaybee83 likes this.