SLI MSI 1070 MXM in P370EM... An adventure

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by bennyg, Jun 17, 2017.

1. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Basic results, CPU maxes at 4.3 (with the extra voltage and upped power limits), 4.4 gave an error on IBT. With liquid metal, maxed at 91C on IBT.

Firestrike went up quite a bit outside of the physics test: the higher frequency (and extra cache) increased the scores on GT1 and GT2 - total FS score 19,378 (up 9%). A GPU memory OC and maybe trying the ram at CL10 or 1800mhz should get 20,000.

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/13343231/fs/13342093 (3940XM at 4.3ghz, vs the 3740QM at 3.9ghz, 4.1ghz single core turbo)

I also wasted a bit of time wondering why clocks were dropping in some of the tests even though I was increasing power limits... I forgot when I modded the vBIOS I dropped the temp limit to 85C. They're stable at 1950Mhz/0.95V/105% power limit which seems to run around 150-160W per card.

CaerCadarn and t6nn_k like this.
  2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    That's a nice voltage/core frequency match.

3. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Finally found a way around an annoying cTDP/turbo power limit issue.

With the 3720QM/3740QM on both my P170EM and this P370EM previously, both with turbo power limits unlocked in the Premamod BIOS, I just set the short and long power limits way high in XTU and they set and stayed there, persisting everything, until a CMOS clear.

As soon as I put the 3940XM in, on boot, it kept on setting cTDP profile 2 for a 81.25W short and 65W long turbo limit. There are zero BIOS overclocking options enabled in the BIOS (Premamod 1.02.09/1.02.08). XTU would set the multis correct but the power limits would not be applied on startup - to change the turbo power limits I had to do it manually through the XTU GUI, which would try and tell me the power limits in the profile were currently loaded, lucky I had HWInfo to tell me otherwise and clocks would drop to as low as 3.7ghz on an extended bench, hitting the 65W long power limit. Unacceptable.

Changing Throttlestop settings on the TPL page wouldn't change anything at all. I have it to run at startup so it sets the turbo multipliers (x43) as normal.

So I found the command line way to use XTU - XTUCli.exe - and using a short Powershell script it runs automatically on startup and sets the Turbo Long power limit to 95W and the short to 90W:

Here's the script: (adapted from https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/3vslko/change_cpu_voltage_offset_with_intel_xtu_on/)
    Code:
    $status = get-service -name "XTU3SERVICE" | Select-Object {$_.status} | format-wide
    if ($status -ne "Running") { start-service -name "XTU3SERVICE"}
    & 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility\Client\XTUCli.exe' -t -id 48 -v 90.0
    & 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility\Client\XTUCli.exe' -t -id 47 -v 95.0
    sleep 5
    stop-process -id $PID -force

Set it to run via Task Scheduler (very similar to the standard Throttlestop task scheduler setup)
    General tab:
    Run only when user is logged on
    Run with Highest privileges
    Triggers tab:
    1) At log on of any user; Delay 20 seconds
    2) On event: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power/Thermal, Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power, Event ID 507, Delay 20 seconds [event 507 is a resume from hibernate you could add one for a sleep resume - I don't use sleep, and anyway in a couple of tests it seems sleep crashes the video drivers on waking]
    Actions:
    Program/script: powershell.exe
    Add arguments: -ExecutionPolicy Bypass c:\pathtoyourscriptfile\filename.ps1 [the bypass executionpolicy switch may help solve administrator issues]
    Conditions: all unchecked
    Settings: all unchecked; tick 'allow run on demand' for testing the script

The startup delay is to give the system time to start the XTU services, and also give a window to stop the script if somehow it starts borking up (unlikely with power limits but that's a possibility if you set an undervolt or a typo which BSODs as soon as it's done)

You could automatically set your whole XTU profile to load using these commands if you wanted, but of course TS is the preferred program for everything that it is possible to do.

Open cmd.exe as admin and navigate to your XTU install directory (default C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility) and under "Client" subdirectory you'll find XTUCli.exe
    Run "XTUCli -i ALL" to output a list of all the parameters you can alter on your system. The ID of the parameter is what you're after - in my case 47 for turbo power short and 48 for turbo power long. I could set them to crazy high numbers but 90W is enough for now as the highest I've seen on this CPU was a tick over 80W and that was Intelburntest at x44 just before it errored out.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  4. Prema

Prema Little BIOS Mod

Reputations:
    OS in Legacy mode: XTU writes values into BIOS.
    OS in UEFI mode: XTU needs to load them from within OS.

;)

TBoneSan, dzpliu and bennyg like this.
  5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yeah I don't think UEFI likes you trying to write straight to the bios :p

6. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I honestly don't know what the uefi is set to but the less i have to use of bloated xtu the better.

CPU was able to encode stable at x45 at 1.41V (+100mV extra), for less than a minute due to temps. x43 at 1.296V tops out low 80Cs (low 70s in games).

It also absolutely monstered through some video editing in Davinci Resolve. On selecting a time point I'd have to wait a couple of seconds or so for previews to generate on the 3740QM @ 3.9, on this CPU it just did it all in real time, no stuttering at all.

edit: lol frequency/volt wall.
    TS Bench 32M
    at x43 (1.296V, +0mV turbo): 64-65W, ~7.1 sec
    at x44 (1.33V, +50mV turbo): 69W, ~6.9 sec
    at x45 (1.40V, +100mV turbo): 79W, ~6.7 sec

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  7. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It is beautiful. Nothing else has to be added.

bennyg likes this.
  8. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    FWIW it's set to legacy

Maybe that's the issue. I switched my P170EM to UEFI when I installed Premamod BIOS and switched to Win10 (which broke needing reinstall) and afterwards the change in turbo power limit has stuck and not needed to be changed in BIOS ever since

A couple of things...
    - driver update
    - raise temp limit on vbios - the fans don't kick in to highest until something - usually slave GPU - hits 90C, then it'll settle low 80s - however since I set the hard temp limit at 85C it just reaches that and throttles down to 1600MHz-ish bouncing off the 85C limit, unless I do max-noise fan mode
    - some A/B testing on my bottom case mods, very easy since I have an unblemished bottom case as well. Seems to be working well for master GPU (it sits around 70C, limited to the same clock as the slave) - but not so well for the slave.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  9. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not having any success with drivers newer than 375.70.

Also, 858 XTU marks is 10 points off the highest P370EM XTU score - and mine is with budget 1600CL11 DDR3 ram. I have some 4x4 2133 that I found cheap that arrived yesterday ready to go in so that should make this officially the fastest P370EM ever

http://hwbot.org/submission/3641262_

x45, 1.41V (+98mV extra turbo voltage), max fans
    Other results:

Thermal throttled a bit on TS Bench 1024M.
    32M 6.58sec
    1024M 207.8 sec
    7zip 3517MIPS/thread, 25553MIPS total 738% scaling

CPUz bench : 451.8 single / 2241.6 multi (vs a stock 6700K: 474ST / 2377MT)

It will thermal throttle hard under AIDA64 FPU so I'm not going to bother.
    Intel Burn Test: 89GFlops. but... Multis were dropping to below x42 and I realised it changing the PL hadn't worked despite HWInfo showing it had, and it was still stuck on a 90W turbo power limit ... maybe hard coded?

Total liar ;p

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    t6nn_k and su35 like this.
  10. su35

su35 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I delivered P370EM3 1070 in the notebook, but I want that it worked on the internal display but not through the monitor from the PC (It is possible?