SLI MSI 1070 MXM in P370EM... An adventure

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by bennyg, Jun 17, 2017.

1. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Update:
    Latest bench results: http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...0em-an-adventure.806069/page-12#post-10573446 (also see signature for 3dmark links)

The good
    • Functional 1080p 120Hz internal display that is totally maxed out by the GPUs.
    • 4.3GHz overclocked quad core XM CPU - draws up to 80W - No throttling.
    • GPUs perform very well, locked at 1950mhz/0.95V core (stock memory) with increased power limits
    • 32Gb RAM (4x8Gb) installed
    • Safe temperatures: temps max out in the 80s on full fans and generally sit in the 60s or 70s depending on how intensive a game workload is
    • Extremely stable. Very few unplanned crashes, black screens, reboots etc

"Issues":
    • Driver updating is problematic. Drivers working right now are 375.70 and require specific INF mods and testing rather than just the standard easy "add your device ID" INF mod.
    • No brightness control on the screen panel (have tried all the registry hacks...) but it is somewhat controllable using the nvidia control center's colour profile.
    • Heatsinks struggle to maintain temperatures when power draw goes beyond 140W (which only happens at even further overclocks)
    • Current vBIOS temp limit of 85C causes GPU clock throttle, before the fans (if left on auto) spin up to full, which is triggered by a 90C reading. This is totally my oversight if I raised the temp limit back to the stock 91C, the fans would kick up and the slave GPU would settle in the low 80s
    • The GPUs have the MSI Turboboost 3.0 hardware bug (as seen in GT62VR/GT73VR 1070 models), causing random crashes when left on the stock dynamic frequency curve. In future I could troubleshoot whether this is fixable by lowering clocks at certain frequency points. The bonus? That's why the GPUs were cheap at $600usd each.
    • When locked in their performance state (1950mhz/0.95V) they draw ~40W each at idle causing excessive fan noise. Switching profile back to default however via hotkey combo (set up via MSI Afterburner) is an easy remedy.

Prior to vBIOS mods increasing power limits and installation of the XM CPU:
    Firestrike Standard 17653 http://www.3dmark.com/fs/13037846
    Firestrike Extreme 12285 http://www.3dmark.com/fs/13037927
    Firestrike Ultra 7205 http://www.3dmark.com/fs/13037980
    Timespy 8205 http://www.3dmark.com/spy/2018131

------

So while I still wait on my p870dm mobo saga to resolve I found used MSI 1070 on ebay for a price I couldn't refuse.

So instead of them just laying there thought I may as well see if it works in the P370EM

Case mod to fit was not hard. The internal frame had to be modded in three places to fit the slightly bigger MSI card. Inserting the card requires removing the cpu fan and bending the frame slightly to fit the card on the angle required to insert into the mxm slot, so you could mod that 4th area too but I can get away with it for now.

The panel in it is LVDS so I know I won't get internal panel display.

And the old 2 part EM gpu heatsink is the weakest of all the options for the P37x chassis so I'm expecting heavy underclocks will be required.

So this is a proof of concept exercise. The main annoyance is that without an internal display, my options for now are:
    1. HDMI out, I actually don't have anything hdmi capable in the house other than TVs in other rooms which is inconvenient (the less the mrs knows where I spend my $ and time the better lol)
    2. DP out doesn't work - also didn't with 670M without driver.

I'm trying to INF mod a driver install completely blind other than through remote connection via Teamviewer.

But the good news is:
    No beeping
    Booted through to Windows first time
    Device ID is visible in device manager (ven_10DE & dev_1BA1 & subsys 03711558)
    Hwinfo gives a temp readout (37-38C idle) with the fan on a constant low speed

Stock driver install failed. Hardware not detected. MSI GPU and Clevo subsys, no surprise there
    Disabled driver signature by blind selecting the option from the legacy startup menu:
    bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy
    (spam F8 on startup, wait for no hard drive actvity for 20sec, then three up and enter)
    INF mod from here with 382.33: https://www.techinferno.com/index.p...er-support-modded-inf/&page=67#comment-159235
    => Installed driver.

No animated 3D thingo in nvidia control panel, hmmm.
    No display out through DP detected :( so still doing everything remotely
    BUT
    With an underclock in nvinspector of -200core/-1000mem - was able to load it up to its 120W TDP in a tiny furmark window and not have it burn up straight away.

So it is at least functional within my expectations so far :) :) :)
    Apart from not giving me any external display. But then I've not tried an eDP cable/panel or HDMI out (yet).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    Dr. AMK, Mr. Fox, jaug1337 and 8 others like this.
  2. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Case mods and test fits.

[​IMG]

first and main area of case mod.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ok over near the subwoofer / mSATA EXCEPT I cleared a bit of the raised housing around the screw hole as the card didn't feel it was lying completely flat:

[​IMG]

cut near the screw hole. Retained the actual hole and thread.
    Note later on I cut off the hole (fuzzy one in mid/upper right that the bottom case screws into) as that occluded the card upon initial insert into the slot

[​IMG]

Need to remove the CPU fan and push the housing inwards to give clearance for the small chokes (1R2) when inserting but once the card is installed flat there's no problem

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    SFVogt, jaybee83, sicily428 and 2 others like this.
  3. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    driver install process.

First boot (visible through remote connection - teamviewer)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    unmodded stock drivers - I am jack's complete lack of surprise

After driver installed through INF mod + driver signature disable:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Yes, thermal runaway even underclocked, but expected, and I stopped at that point. (Actually it's just old thermal paste, some years old AS5 mixed with various smaller tubes I've collected over the years that I've mixed up in a plastic syringe - and it's had the wimpy heatsink on and off it multiple times since application while fitting it - so temps were expected to be terrible.).

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  4. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hmmm I don't think the fan actually sped up at all. Maybe there's a better flavour of driver than this.

Also the max fans hotkey that should be available with the P370EM prema bios doesn't do anything. On second thoughts - it still has (lol, had) the Metabox splash screen at POST, maybe I never actually installed it on this laptop?...

5. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Use @j95's modded INFs1, they work for me just fine....along with booting the laptop with driver signing enforcement disabled.

bennyg likes this.
  6. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That is exactly where the techinferno link in OP goes
    J95's inf was what I used to get them installed

7. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Are you going to get an eDP screen (you can, but will need to mod the cable), or just leave it as is?

If you upgrade the heatsink to an SM series the temps should be pretty good.

Getting a P870DM doesn't really seem to be worth the cost me to me, hence the heavily modded P150EM.

8. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    ok, but it seems like you're having issues with the install.

9. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well that was easy. HDMI worked straight away. [​IMG]

10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Which revision of primary GPU heatsink are you using? IIRC you can use the latest versions from the SM series.