Sleeves, Backpacks and Cases that would fit the Alienware M18xR1/R2/18

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by joecait, Apr 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Joce21 and Drifter - I couldn't agree with you more. What's the point in looking "mature" when using the MB is going to cause "premature aging" of the end user? Toting this beast and additional gear in a MB is an injury waiting to happen. The MB will cause fatigue and stress if transported with the handle or the shoulder sling if used frequently and for long periods of times. This applies to everyone, regardless of strength or build. RSD injuries affect even us big guys.

I had back surgery almost 2 years ago. Both before and after the surgery, transporting a heavy 17"+ laptop in a backpack was a non-issue. The weight distribution is much better ergonomically. IMHO, a backpack is better ergonomically than even a wheeled computer case because of weight distribution and improved spinal alignment. (I'm not a medical professional. I'm just talking as a layman based on about 7 years of 50-75% business travel and transporting 2 computer systems and gear through airports all the time.)

2. BaboonBP

BaboonBP Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I agree, if you only need one bag I'd recommend the backpack. I have to carry two carry ons when flying so the mb is my only choice. If your a big guy like me though the weight isn't bad as it has a nice shoulder strap which I tried to show in the pic.

3. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Ah, the life of a Road Warrior. I have a large Samsonite computer roller bag for my work computer and other gear (power inverter, camera, office supplies, etc.) and a backpack for my personal entertainment hardware. I have a checked bag with my clothes and other items.

4. Scrawl

Scrawl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I spoke too soon. I ordered a M17x backpack from Dell AU and it's different to the one I tested last month.

The 'Checkpoint Friendly' text is now solid and there is a thick foam strip surrounding the laptop pocket for extra protection. This makes it far too tight a fit for the M18x in regards to height.

In the end, I removed the foam and the M18x now fits. Still feels a little tighter than the previous M17x backpack but could be due to being new.

5. 0x29A

0x29A Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Haven't read the whole thread so I may repeat what already has been said, but, what about a decent aluminum suitcase?

Dicota Alucompact is very well made and has exactly enough space for m18x.
    [​IMG]

Remember Alienarmor? :D

6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Where are you going to put the AC adapter and other gear in that very nice looking briefcase?

7. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    http://everki.com/index.php?/Briefca...p-to-18.4.html

Confirmed this bag fits the M18x easily and the PSU fits in the front compartment along with the manual and disks, so you can update the front page for the "confirmed to fit". It's holding my M18x right now.

8. 0x29A

0x29A Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    in the briefcase's lid compartment. the briefcase is twice as high as m18x, so the laptop fills the whole bottom part taking 50% of the briefcase, leaving the whole under-the-lid space empty. there are pockets and stuff there to hold everything tight.

9. joecait

joecait Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Was this the luna or the advanced? Couldn't tell from the link.

10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    It would be awesome if you would post some photos for us. I'd like to see how it looks and how well everything fits.

Yes - please confirm which one you are using so nobody accidentally orders the wrong one.

That's pretty cool. I need a backpack because I do too much travel to lug a briefcase that heavy, but this is a really awesome looking case. (I'd end up with one arm 3" longer than the other one and probably end up with scoliosis, LOL.) Can you please post photos of yours while loaded with the M18x, AC adapter and other gear. I'd appreciate getting a closer look at it in action. Can you also provide a link where you purchased this and how much it cost. We may want to add this to the main page listing of confirmed fits. (I found the link to the manufacturer's web site http://www.dicota.com/start.php?page=page_productDetails&office=8&ds=344.) I did a quick search and did not notice a vendor selling these in the USA. It looks like Sears used to have it, but appears they don't sell it any more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.