Slabtop - Portable Desktop Replacement "Laptop" Enclosure

Discussion in 'Notebook Cosmetic Modifications and Custom Builds' started by Razyre, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Is this concept still being worked on? This is an amazing idea, actually very similar to an idea I had! Yesterday I was looking for slim profile cases to use in the construction a DIY laptop so I could finally have a truly futureproof laptop, and doesn't cost a fortune to upgrade. In the process, I stumbled upon the youtube video for this, and it looks like a lot better idea than what I was going to do, not to mention the chassis is thinner than any desktop case I've ever seen, including slim profile desktop cases.

The major difference between the case mentioned in the video and what I planned on doing is that I was trying to find a super slim profile case for a micro-ATX motherboard, so I could build a laptop out of desktop parts that would be capable of doing SLI. Although I don't plan doing SLI anytime soon, I wanted to have the option to do so. However I haven't found any cases to meet my needs. I found a bunch that will house mini-ITX motherboards and a standard dual width graphics card, but that's not what I was looking for. I couldn't even find any that will house one standard double width graphics card and a micro-ATX motherboard (all said cases only allow for half height or single width expansion cards), so I was going to construct my own using my woodworking skills. Since your idea is a lot better (case contains a battery, screen, and speakers), I'm willing to wait a while for this to be available as a product instead of making my own case. Mini-ITX + single dedicated GPU would be much better for battery life anyway.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  2. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    A company called Ariesys makes something similar. But charge an arm and a legg

http://www.ariesys.com.tw/ARP640.htm

A suggestion would be to follow some of their leads:
    - Robust Handle built onto/into case
    - Let the Keyboard be the thin part (case behind screen) for much better typing experience (otherwise would need special short desks or high chairs to type properly if keyboard is raised by 4-6 inches)

3. ThatOldGuy

Reputations:
    Not super slim (9"), but close to what you want:

http://www.ariesys.com.tw/ARP640.htm

4. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply. After looking at that monstrosity of a portable, I think I'd rather just make my own case. Thanks anyway!

5. ThatOldGuy

Reputations:
    Is this something you are moving forward on? Would love to see what comes of it.
    Would be interesting to hit up 3D printer shop to make case or parts.

If you are interested LTT claims to have worlds smallest SLI rig for an idea of the layout:

KY_BULLET likes this.
  6. republicofsam

republicofsam Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    They sell under different banners, but you can usually grab those things for cheap as chips off eBay. Usually they actually have 2-3 monitors that fold out on arms too. I seen a max spec version with 3 monitors and a Xeon E5 for ~$600. But these are not very portable due to their weight.

ThatOldGuy likes this.
  7. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    That's a nice looking case! I've never seen that before. It would be exactly what I was looking for if it weren't twice as thick as those slim form factor Mini-ITX cases.

I'm planning on moving forward with my original plan if I figure out how to properly wire a battery pack to my motherboard before the Slabtop case comes out. I'll post an update in the future either linking to a separate thread to show my progress, or to say I cancelled my project due to the release of the slabtop. SLI isn't a necessity for me, I'd just like to have the option of doing it. The slabtop only allows for one graphics card since Mini-ITX motherboards only have one 16 lane expansion slot, but I'm content with that. Even if I do make my own case, I'd be doing SLI with single width cards to keep the case from being excessively wide.

8. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So after much research and part finding, I've decided that turning my desktop into a laptop is too much of a hassle, and I will be scrapping the project. Seeing that it's possible to get used MXM modules for laptops for near the prices of their desktop counterparts given I wait about a year after a new architecture's release, I'd much rather stick to laptops that have already been manufactured for the consumer. Since I can buy Clevo laptop chassis that will accept desktop processors, I think I'll go that route for future computing needs. I was able to acquire a GTX 1060 MXM module for my Alien for $350, which is about a $100 premium over the desktop PCIe variant's price. All that being said, I really hope the slabtop comes out because I'd definitely buy it. It'd be the only truly futureproof laptop out there.