Skyrim on XPS 15 (L502x) anyone?

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by SuspiciousLurker, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sdhar

Sdhar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I tried it out in the thieves guild and there wasn't any improvement still like 18 fps but i get 35-50 everywhere else. I do notice a dip in fps everytime there is fog so it must be the GPU struggling and as there is alot of fog in the thieves guild that why i get such a drop.

2. nomygod

nomygod Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Like I said, volumetric lighting. My solutions are to turn down shadows and AA (which you probably do already), and just look away from the center of the room.

3. shibbyiu

shibbyiu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is the game playable really? I had oblivion running on low at barely playable on My current crud laptop. Could play but lags make me sad. I wanna be impressed with My new laptop when it comes

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk

4. nomygod

nomygod Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I can assure you, skyrim runs just fine, even at raised settings (though the "high" setting the game will likely auto-assign you will chug at 1080p. Lower the res, AA, and shadows and set everything else max and you're in for a treat. If you want 0 lag ever, all low settings at 720p doesn't look too bad, though as I have said you are by no means limited to that

5. Sam_A_1992

Sam_A_1992 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Guys, apparently the SkyBoost mod is better than TESVAL for increasing performance, do a search in google as its not on the nexus.

6. lovethai

lovethai Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thieves guild is trouble (or poorly optimized) even for the most powerful graphics, as I get low 20's in there on my m18x with dual 6990's.
    Interesting fact is that I get very similar fps on the single 6990 when I play on m17x.
    I'm awaiting delivery of xps 15z today, wonder what kind of fps I get with 525m, I read that some ppl play it in full HD on this card, might be that game runs just generally better on nvidia cards..

7. shibbyiu

Reputations:
    think i'm gonna pick this game up then in anticipation of my new laptop arrival on monday. currently its in china lol, i thought dell had factorys in ireland

i'm worried though, like in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW7ckGo-pDI, the game is not smooth. perhaps its my laptop can't play the video properly i dont know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=jyzczmtpskc same with this one

This one looks ok though, MEDIUM settings http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By280yAw3jU&feature=related also this video is pretty awesome with the dragon fighting.

i can't take the wait!!!

8. Sam_A_1992

Sam_A_1992 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The opening sequence runs pretty badly even on my 555m but the rest of the game runs a lot better. Are you getting the 540m?

9. shibbyiu

Reputations:
    yeah i5 and 540m. don't fancy oc'ing it since i dont wanna burn up my money, going to treat this laptop better than i would my own child.

just need to find somewhere where skyrim is £25 or a decent price. bought some more ram and a gaming mouse, next week is gonna be sweeeeeet

10. lovethai

lovethai Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    i went for the i5 2430 aswell, didnt fancy i7 in this super slim chassis, read lots of reports of cpu temperatures running into 80s even 90s celsius.
    tried running skyrim and was pleasantly surprised, 1366x768 and ultra settings and its very smooth, im guessing 30+ fps.
    tried oc the 525m aswell, got it to run on 540m core speed and 550m core speed stable, run 3dmark vantage and got 4560 points, which is very decent for this card i think.
    what im most happy about is how cool the laptop is, i read lots of reports ppl getting 90+ temperatures on the cpu and this i5 runs extremely cool even under heavy load, got 65c max both on gpu and cpu while running skyrim and vantage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.