Skylake / Kaby Lake Hyper-threading bug

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Assembler, Jun 26, 2017.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Burning bridges sucks, especially when you need to get across the river for a repair... something to ponder as you are trying to figure out how to be taken seriously by MSI again.

Being a decent polite respectful person goes a long way even in problem situations that seem without resolution, that's why it's important to respect people and their role in your life, and not trash talk them and dump all over their situation - especially when it is completely out of their control and not of their making.

Nobody is going to put up with what I saw being dealt out to the UK MSI Support people.

At this point if you were part of those that dealt out that disrespect to MSI UK Support, I suggest you sell off your MSI equipment and start off on the right foot with a new brand.

alexhawker and Papusan like this.
  2. hmscott

Reputations:
    Gee, really? Too much of a hassle to register your laptop for support? Are you saying you haven't registered your laptop yet for warranty support?

That's a requirement to get support, even if you don't care enough to ask for BIOS update microcode fixes, at least register your laptop for warranty support. That isn't a forum, that's a product registration page.

You need a member login, which is different than the MSI Forum login, BTW.

Even if you don't need warranty support, at least you have the serial number registered in your name, so if your laptop gets stolen or lost you can report it to MSI Support so they can track activity on your laptop serial number to find the thief when they try to register for support.

Take 5 minutes, a photo of your purchase receipt, create a login, and register your laptop, it's kinda basic to laptop ownership :)

MSI Member Center
    https://register.msi.com/home/login
    msi member login.JPG

Vasudev likes this.
  3. plee82

plee82 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How in the world did the GT62VR get this update so fast lol

hmscott likes this.
  4. hmscott

Reputations:
    Ask MSI... :D:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O

5. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm talking about a desktop MSI motherboard, not a laptop - if it was a laptop I would have been sure to register it. I should probably register the motherboard, but I think the warranty is still honoured as long as I contact them within 3 yrs of purchase date with my serial number if something goes wrong with it (along with proof of purchase). Nope, not gonna jump through hoops to contact them about BIOS update for hyperthreading bug fix (as explained in previous post).

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    Papusan and hmscott like this.
  6. hmscott

Reputations:
    Those aren't hoops, probably less effort than posting here on NBR, 5 - 10 minutes tops, hardly a smidgen of a sacrifice. :)

You've missed out on the free 3 months extra warranty extension, BTW. You get that from MSI for registering within 14 days (or is it 30 days?) after the purchase date on the receipt.

It pays off registering as soon as you get the product. :)

7. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Ha, knew you were gonna say that first sentence, but I'm still not gonna do it! :p That extra 3 months does not include motherboards or GPUs.

hmscott likes this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    And how would you know that for sure having never created a membership login or registration? :cool:

Did you know you don't get the free 1 year of ADC (accidental damage coverage) unless you register your product within 30 days of purchase?

Come'on, you know you want to, go ahead and get a membership login and register all of your MSI products, maybe look around for other brand products you haven't registered too, it's never to late to become a part of the system. :confused::p:eek::Do_O

Papusan and Robbo99999 like this.
  9. plee82

plee82 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Omfg I did not know about ADC? I am glad I registered right away.

hmscott likes this.
  10. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Ha, it says about the extra 3 months not being applicable to GPU & motherboard if you click the "MORE" button next to Warranty Registration on their web page. I don't know if ADC would be included with my motherboard, but I obviously missed that window if it existed - good job the only PC/laptop hardware I've ever wrecked was some RAM in a laptop that I was vacuuming to get the dust out (use a can of compressed air instead!)! Ha, I did register my GPU, that's important to me! BUT, I did a back plate cooling mod on my GPU, and also flashed a different vBIOS that cures the Micron VRAM overclocking issues as well as using liquid metal for the thermal paste - only gone & devalidated that warranty too! I don't think I registered my CPU, but I delidded that so I have no warranty support - I'm living on the edge! Can't remember if I registered anything else in my system - I think I have a lot of faith in the electronic goods I own - stuff doesn't break on me - it likes me!