Skylake / Kaby Lake Hyper-threading bug

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Assembler, Jun 26, 2017.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That's interesting, I wonder if there is a power tune / voltage tune automatically happening with TS vs XTU that holds the defaults unless you change it yourself.

Have you noticed this @unclewebb ? Is there an explanation?

Try exiting the XTU Systray app, as it has a monitoring tool that draws CPU as well. After booting I exit the XTU Systray app unless I am going to do tuning.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    Vasudev and Midas Touch like this.
  2. plee82

plee82 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I always wondered, how does xtu save the undervolt values even after a reboot on locked HQ chips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    XTUservice in services.msc does this.

4. hmscott

Reputations:
    Have you used XTU's interface yet for undervolting?

You set a value, Apply the value, then Save a Named Profile with the tuning. That way you can have several profiles and select between them.

XTU loads the last selected profile at each boot and applies it for you.

If you crash, XTU will notice this and it will not load the profile at next boot - just in case it was a setting in that profile that caused the instability.

XTU doesn't know if that's true, but it makes sure that you don't get stuck in a boot / crash loop

Even an unrelated crash will be noticed by XTU at next boot it won't load a profile.

You just need to go into XTU, select a profile, Apply it, and XTU will load that Profile at the next boot - and keep doing that until you crash. :)

Vasudev likes this.
  5. plee82

Reputations:
    Yes I have tried it once but changed to TS after noticing XTU modified even the default profile with my undervolt settings.

hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  6. hmscott

Reputations:
    That's not possible :)

The default profile can't save changes, that's the whole point of the default profile.

You need to not only select the Default Profile, you need to Apply it before the profile settings are... applied :)

Otherwise the current settings will continue to persist, until you Apply new ones, either set manually or loaded from a Profile.

Vasudev likes this.
  7. plee82

Reputations:
    It is a known bug reporter by several people. I opened XTU and the default profile had my undervolt values. Since then I never installed XtU.

8. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Just as a quick reference I saw my highest CinebenchR15 score (1048) with microcode BA installed on my 6700K system, and CPU scores in 3DMark bechmarks are all the same both prior to installing latest microcode and with latest microcode - so I don't think latest microcode decreases performance.

Papusan, Midas Touch and Vasudev like this.
  9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I always save the default clocks and settings by giving a new profile and save it.

hmscott likes this.
  10. hmscott

Reputations:
    Don't give up so easily, we've all been using XTU for many years, and occasionally a bug is introduced in a new version that we want to avoid, so we run the previous version without the bug - it's that simple.

I'd try creating my own "default" profile - obviously with a different name - and use that to load safe settings for doing work.

After you find stable settings for undervolt and multipliers (if you have such a CPU) you won't need to rely on "default" any longer.
    Exactly, don't let the software get in your way, work around bugs :)

Midas Touch and Vasudev like this.