Simple question for experts, that I am sadly not...

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by clanofwolves, Oct 22, 2020.

1. clanofwolves

clanofwolves Newbie

Reputations:
    I have been using my Laptop for an eternity in computer technology time. It's an Intel 2duo CPU, 64 bit, 4G ram, Sony Viao. (insert laugh here) However, I use 2006i AutoCAD and it is my favorite version by far and it can only run on Windows 7 (I have been told) so I need to run it on a machine with that OS.

Here's the question: I have an SSD drive already in my Sony, and I'd like to simply put it in a used laptop with 16G RAM and Windows 7 --in my mind-- I can just plug it in and play. Is this correct?

2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    If there both the same connector type, sure. In your case its likely SATA 2.5 connection, you'll likely reformat but shouldnt be much more than that

clanofwolves likes this.
  3. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    More than likely you'll have driver issues. Microsoft may even pop up an activation box.

JRE84 and clanofwolves like this.
  4. clanofwolves

clanofwolves Newbie

Reputations:
    Would it be better then to simply find a way to load Autocad 2006i in a virtual machine on a Windows 10 laptop than attempt to run Windows 7 on better hardware?

5. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Find a copy of windows 7 and load on a new machine. Windows takes a profile of your system when installing so you can't just pop the drive into a new system and be done. I'm not sure of workarounds for it. I always just bought the os.

clanofwolves likes this.
  6. clanofwolves

clanofwolves Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the 411. Makes sense, that would be too easy.

kojack likes this.
  7. Starlight5

Starlight5 Yes, I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

Reputations:
    Windows 10 just works when popped into another machine. You can try with Windows 7, maybe you'll be lucky... And if not, there will be no way around reinstalling it anyway.

8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I use a Macrium Reflect image of a Windows 7 installation on multiple systems. Each is activated with a different key that is specific to the system, but the OS image works fine on hardware that doesn't match the system it was originally installed on. You can always install a missing driver later if you need to. If the item that is missing a driver is something you never use and/or don't care about you can just ignore it. Having an "unknown device" doesn't hurt anything. It is inconsequential other than the potential for being irksome to anyone with an OCD obsession over seeing an "unknown device" in Device Manager.

raz8020 and Papusan like this.