Simple question about outdated Nvidia cards

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by ShineGlizzy, Jan 12, 2018.

1. ShineGlizzy

ShineGlizzy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok I swapped the cards, unfortunately I deleted the nvidia drivers before I saw your post. But I'm getting a black screen with 8 beeps. No option to hit F2.

2. KY_BULLET

KY_BULLET Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Maybe you can try this...

ShineGlizzy likes this.
  3. ShineGlizzy

Reputations:
    I swapped the 460m back in for the time being, maybe I should try the Unlocked A12 bios? Even with the 120hz screen?

*EDIT*
    Multiple websites say 8 beeps means LCD failure... After swapping the 460m back in, it starts up fine.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  4. MickyD1234

MickyD1234 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The LCD failure code is not just the panel, it's an end-to-end test of the video subsystem. Do not try the unlocked bios unless someone says it is specifically needed for that GPU in a 120hz model. You can easily end up with a bricked machine and a nightmare to get it back.

This is the problem I thought might happen in an R3. The boot code is designed for UEFI boot and the R4 includes this 'compatibility mode' in the bios, the R3 does not. It should work but as a first-generation UEFI card it might be 'unfriendly'.

You could look through the bios for something that might help. You'd need to make the change and then swap the cards.

ShineGlizzy likes this.
  5. ShineGlizzy

Reputations:
    Ok, I'm gonna search through the bios and see what I can come up with.

MickyD1234 likes this.
  6. ShineGlizzy

Reputations:
    Here's what my bios looks like before I swap the 765m in...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anything else I need to disable? Also when I went to bios for first time, 'Primary Graphics' was already set to PEG...

7. MickyD1234

Reputations:
    PEG with no integrated graphics is what I would expect with a 120hz panel. Nothing there that looks helpful, I'm guessing now you need to try an unlocked one to see what options you get, but be careful. What looks like it might help could be a disaster if it attempts to use the onboard GPU...

I'm pretty sure I've been through this before and the guy gave up but I'm hoping you beat it (hold up, what's the definition of madness?? haha)

ShineGlizzy likes this.
  8. ShineGlizzy

Reputations:
    Ok I'm gonna try that to see what options I can get. Anyone have the unlocked a12 bios zip file?

*EDIT*
    Nevermind I paid the $6.00 for the Elite membership on T|I...

*DOUBLE EDIT*
    So I installed the Unlocked A12 bios with success. It wouldn't boot at first, until I changed 'SATA Operation' to [AHCI]... (It was on RAID)

I'm gonna follow the steps I did the first time, with Display set to PEG(which it is already), HD Audio Disabled, and Integrated Graphics Disabled. Swap the cards and hope for the best. I'll let you know the outcome.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  9. ShineGlizzy

Reputations:
    It's a no go... I took it out and cleaned it up real nice. Gonna send it back and put the money towards the 680m... It was a good try lol I appreciate all the help!!

10. MickyD1234

Reputations:
    Sorry man, been away. Oh well, you tried, hard, guess it really is a no-go GPU in some cases.

If you can find a 680m then there is so much scope for tuning as well as not needing to have the on-board sound disabled. The 780m should be fine as well.

If the 460m still works then you can save some work by installing the latest driver.

Good luck.

ShineGlizzy and KY_BULLET like this.