Silver 7700K IHS Prototype Testing

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Stress Tech, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Stress Tech

Stress Tech Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    .999 Silver heat spreader lid, is now going through its initial setup process. This is 1.1mm thicker than the Kaby Lake lid to fill in the P870 heatsink gap. This is also Coffee Lake compatible too. The small hole is for anyone who wants to turn it into a necklace afterwards :cool:
    .999 Silver IHS Lid Top View.jpg .999 Silver IHS Lid Under Bottom View.jpg
    8700K VS 700K Die Size.png
    The Coffee Lake die is slightly bigger than the Sky Lake and Kaby Lake dies.

hmscott, Dr. AMK and ole!!! like this.
  2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    That's about the extra size the two extra cores take. It's still mostly IGP in size.

Stress Tech and Dr. AMK like this.
  3. Stress Tech

Reputations:
    I always wondered how much of a big thermal difference the IGP makes to the overall CPU Temperature.. I know that the 7740X has no IGP, but it has a base clock of 4.3Ghz, a higher TDP at 112W and supports its stock speeds of 2666Mhz of DDR4 RAM so comparing it to the 7700K won't be accurate.
    Because the 7700K is mostly made for gaming, it would be great if Intel just left the IGP out.

Dr. AMK likes this.
  4. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    The IGP is still there jus disabled. Thermally it does not make much difference when disabled like in our desktop systems.

Stress Tech likes this.
  5. Stress Tech

Reputations:
    As requested by some:
    Witcher 3: Wild Hunt gameplay on P870KM1-G using the .925 Silver lid, but with "Full" fans on Clevo dash and full fans on the x3 U3+ Vardar FF5 fan mod cooler. Everything is maxed out. Nvidia HairWorks enabled too. Temperatures and speeds are displayed in-game and before and after the video. On desktop the CPU drops to 800mhz on idle. This is because of Intel's Speedstep technology. In-game stays at 4.5GHz constantly though.

Thank you @Mr. Fox for showing me how to display my CPU speeds in-game by using HWiNFO64 with MSI Afterburner.

This Video (Full Fans on Clevo dash, 100% 3000RPM x3 Vardar FF5 fan mod cooler)
    2560x1440
    Nvidia Drivers: 387.92 Notebook
    #1 1080 GPU: 52c max
    #2 1080 GPU: 51c max
    CPU 7700K 4.5Ghz: 60c max

*This video is rated mature*

Sorry about my Steam username, (unless you are a committed BGA lover) as I don't want random adds. Please take a joke.

hmscott likes this.
  6. Stress Tech

Reputations:
    As I have quoted at the P870KM1 owners lounge:

"What's taking so long is that .999 silver is hard to work with. It's hard to cast because it shrinks, it's hard to laser cut because silver is the most light reflective metal there is, and it's hard to chop because .999 silver is too soft. I have already lost a lot of money doing this, as I have tried multiple designs and process. This will be the last process I do. It's going to be done in Germany, with some Hi-Tec machinery."

To get this mirror finish and flat down to 0.0002mm accuracy (unlike the cheap finish Der8auer have to offer) it would cost £2364 for the initial setup and the £788 each for the .999 silver lid. Which is absolutely ridiculous. I'm not going ahead of this, and now I'm looking else where.

My block of .999 silver is coming back in bits too as they had to do a quote. Gutted!!

I'm going to try another manufacturing process. I want to know how Der8aur have done this?

This is the final update of the lid. It now has curved edges instead of corners:
    Top View:
    Top View.png

Bottom View:
    Bottom View.jpg

Gursimran82956 and hmscott like this.
  7. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    It's always nice to make prototypes but boy can mass production come along and give you a good kick, just look at carbon nano tube stuff.

Stress Tech likes this.
  8. Stress Tech

Reputations:
    Carbon nano would kill me! :p
    You'd need $1000's for a initial setup.
    But don't worry. I have not given up yet with this .999 Silver lid. I'm still looking...
    I need to find a way anyways, as I need them to build my new invention as well ;)

9. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Silver water cooling block? :p

Stress Tech likes this.
  10. Stress Tech

Reputations: