Silver 7700K IHS Prototype Testing

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Stress Tech, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Stress Tech

Stress Tech Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My first silver IHS (Intel heat spreader) has come :D. This one is the .925 solid silver variant with a cheaper finish. It is also UK Hallmarked (registered) so it is classed as an equity for an easy resale for the future. Tests will be coming soon...

There is another one being made elsewhere in a softer .999 (Hallmarked) solid silver for an easy squash against the heatsink and die (hopefully if it's that soft). This one will have a better finish, but it is more expensive to be made.

Some may call this stupidity! but someone had to do it :cool:
    I know the bottleneck of the temps is the weld between the IHS and the heatsink. But I'm going to give it a shot!
    These silver IHS prototypes cost me a kidney to be made. But if I ever need another, they will be a lot cheaper to buy as I have already been through the moulding, spruing, Hallmarking, registering, etc, etc setup.

I will like to apologize for the photo quality. It was done with my Galaxy S5 with a cracked camera lens...:oops: I don't have a camera, sorry.

The design has been taking from the BitsPower Kaby Lake IHS lid (left). The BitsPower lid looks a bit off due to the casting procedure.
    Silver Kaby IHS Prototype 1A (1).jpg

The opposite side of the lids. Both sides of the BitsPower lid has been lapped before the silicone moulding procedure. The scruffy colour is from the torture of the moulding work. The next coming soon .999 silver IHS will have the 2 holes covered.
    Silver Kaby IHS Prototype 1A (3).jpg

The rough side with a less cheaper finish as it is not needed on this area. Take note: the small stamp, is the Hallmark .925 stamp.
    Silver Kaby IHS Prototype 1A (4).jpg

Dark room photo with the USB flash stick as a reference. Shines bright like a diamond :cool:
    Silver Kaby IHS Prototype 1A (2).jpg
    The .999 silver version will be coming soon. It will be much more superior. See you all after the first .925 prep work ;)

2. Prema

Prema Little BIOS Mod

Reputations:
    That's one lit LID you have there. :)

3. Stress Tech

Reputations:
    :D lol. it's so bright I had to move my camera to cetrain angles for every shot when taking the face of the lid. The bottom is not so bright compared to the front/face. I'm spreading liquid metal on her right now. She easy to spread compared to other lids. By the way, just for the update; I forgot to state that this .925 silver CPU lid weighs 36 grams. :)

4. Stress Tech

Reputations:
    "She", "spread" and "spreading" in this sentence doesn't sound right..... o_O
    Sorry.

5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It's been quite a while since I saw the first silver lugged heatsinks ^-^ Never took off due to the expense but i'm interested to see your results.

Dr. AMK and Stress Tech like this.
  6. Delgada89

Delgada89 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hedonismbot would approve. Lol. Let us know what comes of the testing.

Stress Tech likes this.
  7. Stress Tech

Reputations:
    A 2c difference on max CPU load. It's now 80c max compared to my previous max 82c. On "full" fans the CPU minimum temp is now 39c compared to the previous 40c after a full stress test. So the silver lid made a 1c difference on minimum temps. Please note that this is after when the system has been heated up and then brought back down again. Using 1+ hour of Prime95 and 1 hour of gaming on Battlefield: Hardline and other games on 7680x1440 Nvidia Surround.
    Please see HWiNFO64 for the reference of 4.5+ hours uptime.

Using prime 95:
    First I tried "full" fans on Clevo dash with U3+ (x3) Varder fan mod on full. This got me 74c on the CPU.
    Then I used just "full" fans on the Clevo dash without the U3+ (x3) Varder fan mod. This got me to 77c tops.
    I then finally used "Overclock" fan settings on the Clevo dash with no fan mod, and I got a maximum CPU temp of 80c.
    I have tried everything to put the CPU to a full load. It seems to only go to 90.044W max.

BIOS: Stock Clevo Bios
    Ambient temperature: 22c-24c through out the full day.
    CPU Max Temp (4.5Ghz 7700K): 80c
    Max CPU Power Package: 90.044 Watts
    CPU Under-Volt: -145mv
    GPU (1080 Stock) Master Max Temp: 66C
    GPU (1080 Stock) Slave Max Temp: 66C
    Samsung 960 M.2 SSD Max Temps: #1: 48c, #2: 60c
    NVidia Driver: 385.41
    3x2560x1440P (7680x1440P) + 1x1920x1080P displays.

The screen shot below has been finished of with "full" fans on Clevo Dash to see the lowest it will hit.
    4.5Hr+ Full Stress Test With .925 Silver IHS And 17w Pads 7680x1440 Gaming.jpg

I'm now waiting on a .999 silver lid to finish. Hopefully that will show a better result. Right now its only a 2c difference. I'm going to try everyday to see if I can break the 80c CPU temp barrier through gaming or tests.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    Dr. AMK likes this.
  8. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Interesting experiment, how much does it cost?

Ground_Zro, Stress Tech and Papusan like this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan BGA Filthy = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    The answer can be seen below:vbbiggrin:

t456, Dr. AMK and Stress Tech like this.
  10. Stress Tech

Reputations:
    Lol I hope my partner doest find out... I'm casting her something. So if she finds out, I will pull the gift out of my secret stash to make her calm! This will drown her thoughts about the silver IHS lids :D

Both experiments the .999 silver and .925 silver lids first initial setups (there was a few) cost me a bomb. I can't remember exctly, but it all depends on the finishing, Hallmarking etc. But I do know that; if I repeat the order for the .925 silver lid using the same initial setup it will be much cheaper, it will cost me only £65 each then, as long as I don't change the setup. This all depends on the silver prices at that time too. The .999 silver lid will cost me a bit extra though, I'm still waiting for the first prototype. It is the finishing process that costs the most. Hopfully after the first .999 lid test, I will sell a few here (without profiting) to curious individuals. And who knows
    ... Maybe I will make other intel lids for kicks. I'm starting to like this hobby :)

By the way: hopfully the .999 silver lid will be so soft, it will warp or wrap it's self to the heatsink, making it have better contact.

Does anyone know if the P870km1 CPU heatsink is a vapour chamber or not. Because if it isn't.... well I got ideas :cool:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    Ground_Zro, Dr. AMK and hmscott like this.