Silentmaxx laptops: could they be really less noisy than those from other resellers?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by nesdnuma, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Bongripper666

Bongripper666 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    They have a great customer support as well. Sent them a couple of (simple) questions 1 week ago, never got an answer. In the meantime i don't need the answers anymore.

2. Eurocom Support

Eurocom Support Company Representative

Reputations:
    We have few new models coming with 40dB noise measured 15cm away from the laptop. Model name is Q5 with 7700HQ, GTX 1070 8GB and 15.6" Sharp IGZO panel. 18.6mm thin.

Arondel and Mr. Fox like this.
  3. Arondel

Arondel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is that a Max-Q setup? Are the 40 dB during standard "max load" (Witcher 3 or similar gaming)?

4. Eurocom Support

Reputations:
    Yes, max load playing Witcher3

Arondel likes this.
  5. Klaus.at

Klaus.at Newbie

Reputations:
    Out of interest: How do they handle low-performance scenarios?

While it is important for laptops to remain reasonably quiet under load to keep gaming enjoyable, it is equally important for them to be very quiet when browsing the web.

In addition there seems to be a bug/mis-design with Optimus, that causes unnecessary utilization of the NVidia card when using an external display. (Applies only when the HDMI-Port is wired to the NVidia card.) This can sabotage the "office" use-case, when any of the software is supposed to do light rendering (e.g. Google Earth), but ends up wasting power (and thus heat) by using the NVidia card.

6. Eurocom Support

Reputations:
    Nvidia Surround View specs require that HDMI and DP ports are wired to dGPU in order to provide sufficient support for high resolution external monitors.

7. Klaus.at

Klaus.at Newbie

Reputations:
    As does G-Sync, and VR supposedly requires it for sufficiently low latency. So I understand perfectly, that for high-tier NVidia cards, wiring the HDMI-Port to the dGPU is the obvious design choice.

However, nothing that I know of requires that all programs be rendered by the dGPU if a monitor is connected to it, which depending on the software used can result in a significantly noisier fan.

Having sent back the affected device (an Acer V17), I cannot tell if the issue still exists though, and I have no way of checking if it exists for all devices, where the HDMI port is wired to the NVidia dGPU.

Example: Remaining logged into an MMO for chatting, while doing something else. Running the MMO on the dGPU will result in a loud fan, while running it on the iGPU would likely be perfectly sufficient for chatting. In such cases, <10fps and a silent fan is preferable to effectively wasted 30+ fps and a loud one.