Show us your computer room 2!

Discussion in 'Notebook Cosmetic Modifications and Custom Builds' started by lupin..the..3rd, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    Imagine something going wrong in that jungle of his.. I would literally cry :D

2. Datamonger

Datamonger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    When you have lots of hardware, you don't manage wires.

3. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Master Viking NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I did a ton of cable management when I installed the triple monitor stand (got rid of the 3 bases that came with the monitors) I labeled the ends of my wires for all my audio & video so that if I need to add/take away or change up connections I know what is what.

Like when I added in the hardware mixer recently that changed a lot of the connections between my amplifier and my computer/tv/game systems.

Also not too long ago I got rid of my MD player and 10 band equalizer.

I ran all those cables and put zip tie mounts on the wall and zip tied the wires together to make things neat. Its nice to be neat I guess but the more management you do like this the harder it is to go back to make changes and add/change things, so yeah really the best thing to do is just be neat with the wires and label them but dont worry about having it all hidden away or tied up when your like me and always making changes to your setup.

I added a 3rd sound card to the setup as well when I added the mixer. So yeah a lot of interface changes happen when I do certain upgrades.

One thing I like is HDMI.... while it can be a boon to not route audio and video separately in some cases (like you want to send audio to your amp but not have the TV for passthrough.) in most cases it reduces cable need dramatically.

4. Kierkes

Kierkes Misanthrope

Reputations:
    Wow. This will probably be my first post on this forum in forever. You see, I've been on Gear****z.com, and satisfying the budding musician/audio engineer in me is a thing that cannot frugally run alongside satisfying my love for computer technology. The two do meet more often than I like, though.

Last picture I must have uploaded was my freshman year dorm. (I just finished my junior year.) It had my old ASUS G2S (R.I.P.), my 360, and my TV.

I've added a few things since then. :)

My BB G51 with the old C2D P7350. Still going strong after all these years, but I bought the thing to game. A beefy graphics card and a low resolution screen are sort of the opposite of what you want when it comes to audio production, 'specially when the processor is overlooked. Different goals back then.

Underneath it is a TASCAM US-1641. Nice unit. Won't count on it working with my next computer, whenever that may come around.

Some Prodipe Pro 8 Ribbon Monitors. Really nice sound. The mixes translate well. Here's one of my friend I did back in my junior year dorm (not pictured) Recorded a friend of mine doing this song. He wrote the basic piano riff and the melody and lyrics. I arranged and orchestrated.

Mixed it with the monitors, the Sony MDR-7506 headphones underneath the left monitor, hiding behind the red lanyard hanging from the ceiling. Recorded his voice on that Studio Projects CS5 microphone hanging above the Casio PX-330 piano. Just bought that guitar. A vintage Sigma DM-4; I affectionately call it a "Martin clone, by Martin." Funny; this room is less than a 15-minute drive from where Martin was founded.

On the right, you can see my wonderful Nestle shelf, currently my home entertainment cabinet and, on the bottom half, a wardrobe.

Otherwise. Nice living back home during the last summer vacation of my life. :eek: Thought I'd check up on y'all!

P.S. That red string hangs down from the lights. Real convenient. :D

Attached Files:

5. Vahlen

Vahlen Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    He's just mad he has less than 50 friends :D

6. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    .. :( why would you say that

7. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    Why are people posing their gear? Why not post the true working setup?

I agree. I have 3 laptops, asus transformer, 2 x 21.5 LCDs, 1 x 24in LCD, tool box, assortment of hardrives, optical drive and a fan. Cable management would be a nightmare so it all goes behind the desk out of view. Besides anything that breaks/fails is removable and I dont have to mess with the cables at all.

8. homank76

homank76 Alienware/Dell Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Behind the desk is wire managment...out of sight out of mind.

9. funky monk

funky monk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My wires are just tied behind my desk with a shoe lace at the moment.

10. maverick777

maverick777 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Here's my computer area. I just got my Envy 17. I still need to get Displayport cables so it will play nice with the dual monitors.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.