Should i purchase this even though it has no SSD?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by bilabonic, Oct 15, 2019.

1. bilabonic

bilabonic Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well i won the laptop. no other bidders:) £200 for a i5 8250 15.6" screen
    I noticed it mentioned that it was running slow/needs a 'tune/clean'
    Do i need to post in another section?
    I was thinking of some how reinstalling Win10?? on the current HDD, the doing above with the Media creation tool, or it that the wrong process?

But in anyway it needs a tune up plus i have read Win10 has security flaws!!!

Cheers guys

2. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    All OS's have security flaws, no one is perfect..

Its slow because the HDD is slow, but you SHOULD do a clean install because the previous owner might have installed a trojan to spy on you, never trust the current installed OS, just make a install pen with media creation tool and do a nice clean install of the OS and then let it install all the drivers/updates.

hmscott and bilabonic like this.
  3. bilabonic

bilabonic Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That;s what i was thinking but i presumed that tool just vreats an image of the existing one?

I'm currently using an ancient Acer 5920G lol.

Why would i need that tool for a totally fresh install.

My plan is use the slow HDD as a secondary/storage dive ( my current one on my Acer is only and old 256Gb and i have not filled it since i had it 'many a moon' ago.

Thanks for the help/advice.

4. bilabonic

bilabonic Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So i create an install pen, remove the HDD, put in the new SSD and install it to that. Then wipe/format the old HDD?
    If it had a Trojan surely that could still be there/spread to my new SSD?

Thanks

5. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Don't use the 'new' notebook to create the Windows installer.

Use your old/trusted system instead.

See:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Use the link above to Create Windows 10 Installation Media. Use it to create an ISO file.

See:
    https://rufus.ie/

Use the link above to create a bootable USB drive with the ISO file you created above.

Remove the old drive in the 'new' computer and put in the new drive you want to use. I would not recommend a SATA M.2 drive like is suggested above. Rather, buy a 'real' PCIe M.2 x4 drive that you can use in your next computer too... ;)

I would recommend the Intel 660p (or 665p if it comes out 'soon') at 1TB or larger. Along with a 33% OP too, if you want the best long term experience for performance, responsiveness, and reliability too.

After you have done a clean install on the system, connected it to the internet and fully updated it (will possibly require a few reboots to install and configure all the drivers properly), then I would install the original HDD again.

Go to Windows Disk Management and proceed to delete all existing partitions and then format the disk to use it for your data.

If Disk Management doesn't allow you to delete all of the existing partitions on the HDD, then use the Windows Installer USB key you created to do it. Simply click the steps to install Windows, select the Advanced option, and then delete all partitions on the old drive. Then, simply turn off the computer to remove your USB key and boot into Windows to continue.

Follow the steps above to get your new budget system as fast as possible and as secure as it can be. :)

bilabonic likes this.
  6. bilabonic

bilabonic Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @tilleroftheearth
    That makes sense apart as i would wcould be basically importing a Trojan or similar from te old drive

This does not make sense to me-
    'I would recommend the Intel 660p (or 665p if it comes out 'soon') at 1TB'
    Are you referring to a 1Tb SSD as well as a my 1Tb HDD!!!
    That is way out of my price range and way to big, i have been using a 256Gb for the last 10 years...lol
    A 256Gb SSD is more than enough for me.

Cheers

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  7. bilabonic

bilabonic Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I can not use my old, very old laptop as it has a a 'version' of windows7 that MS will not accept..lol

I have just had the new lappy delivered, it's like new with bag and MUCH slimmer/lighter. It even has a 32Gb Recovery USB which i can see has never been opened.

Just powerd up, battery is brill (mine will only work with a constant supply).

It's asking for my name (who's going to use this PC).

I can not afford a 1Tb SSD as you described (they are £150 secondhand)!!!

Shall i proceed with my details?

Thanks a lot for being understanding...I'm DREADING trying to use Win10!!