Should I keep '95 Jeep as a spare vehicle rather than sell it for peanuts?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by allfiredup, Jul 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K-TRON

K-TRON Hi, I'm Jimmy Diesel ^_^

Reputations:

The old 4.0L is a great engine. My dads got nearly 380K on his 87 Jeep Pioneer. Nothing like that inline 6. 172 horsepower if I remember correctly. It has seen I think three alternators and a few batteries over the years. No major problems from the engine. The engine was replaced at like 135K miles because the mechanic was checking the oil pump and some how damaged the camshaft bearings. So a new engine was swapped in. Still running strong.

I wanted to put a 3 cylinder Detroit Diesel in my Jeep. However I am going to pass. I think I am going to step up to a fullsize Chevy Pickup or a GMC Brigadier. That way I can have a 4-53T silver or a 6V92TA :D

This guy Ron I know put a 3 cylinder 3-53NA in his Jeep. He does 75mph at 2650rpm.
    It outputs 99hp at 345lb/ft torque. Rolling on his 44" super swampers he gets 34mpg. Thats old tech there. T-5 tranny and his engine is a 72 I think.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXoZRe9cuZA

K-TRON

2. Teraforce

Teraforce Flying through life

Reputations:
    I'm surprised your Jeep has lasted as long as it has....

My family had purchased a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee brand new in Jan. of '99. It was the worst POS we've ever owned. It had to go to the dealer at least once a month to get something fixed (especially warped brake rotors). When we got rid of it 1 1/2 years later, there was already $5000 worth of repairs covered by warranty. Sure, it had the supposedly bullet-proof 4.0L I6 engine, but that didn't do much good when the rest of the car was falling apart so quickly. The sad thing was that the vehicle itself wasn't that bad from a design standpoint; it had some nice, well-thought-out features. But you know something's wrong when the dollar amount of warranty repairs in the first year contains 4 digits....

My point was this: Sure your car may be running great now, but you never know how it'll run the next day, especially considering the age and miles (and the fact that it's a Jeep). In other words, get rid of that thing ASAP.

3. Saisei

Saisei Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Take that piece of scrap metal to the junk yard where it belongs dont you know obsolete vechiles aren't fuel efficient which is bad for mother goose.You should be ashamed for riding i useless tin metal like that./sarcasm

4. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    My KJ or liberty to you non jeepers does just fine with a full load and passengers. The thing is that my jeep is making ~225 at 3000 and 235 at 400, but it still doesnt change the fact that Jeeps aren't meant for power. The other day it was HOT so we were blasting the A/C and with an 800Lbs+ load in the back I was getting around perfectly fine. The reason the 3.7l in the liberty felt slower is because the Liberty weighs a good deal more not to mention if it has the off road package like mine (Skids, rock rails, "armor", light bar, heavy duty roof rails, ect.). I believe mine weighs between 4200-4400 I think its the later due to the A/T. So imagine having 3 200 pound people in your jeep, that's how mine is with only a driver.

Either way, just take care of the Jeep, do oil changes and fluid changes at the correct mileage and drive it sane. In fact I have a rule that unless Im getting on a highway or have to pass someone I keep my jeep at 1500 rpms otherwise 2200rpms is my max.

Every so often a lemon is made, and that goes for other brands that people think are more reliable then others. When I was a mechanic I saw hondas die early and fords go to 300k, its all in what you put into it. If you use good parts and fluids and follow the maintenance to a 'T' and drive responsible (both have to be done) then your vehicle will last a long time. You cant take care of your rig and then turn around and drive the crap out of it as it negates the service.

Im hoping all of that was sarcastic. If you want to go for a green standpoint think of the waste that happens when people buy cars every 2-5 years. Think of the landfills and junkyards filled with polluting cars and trucks leaking fluids and parts into the soil. Now think about a vehicle that gets what is still a industry standard fuel mileage for mid-sized SUVs, and has the same OBD standard as the 2009 at the dealer. Makes more sense to keep the 1995, take care of it and not only have yourself profit, but also the planet.

5. allfiredup

allfiredup Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I know that the first two model years ('93 and '94) of the Grand Cherokee had a LOT of problem areas! Transmission failures and cooling system issues (overheating) were fairly common. I remember trying to talk my mom out of buying it because those models were rated poorly by Consumer Reports and Consumer Guide! Luckily, the '95 models had far fewer problems. My '95 only had a single warranty repair- when it was a few months old, the driver's side power seat motor died and had to be replaced. But that was all...

The '99 Grand Cherokee was a nightmare, too...it was the first year of the redesigned model! Don't ever buy a first year of a new/redesigned model- PERIOD!

The only nagging question in the back of my mind is just how much longer will the transmission last! My dad has taken it to the same mechanic since it was new for all service work. His mechanic can't believe that it still has the original tranny. He said that he's replaced more transmissions in Jeep Grand Cherokees and Dodge Caravans than all other cars combined! It's a fact- Chrysler's automatic transmissions have sucked for a long time!

Mine has the optional Towing Package, which has a heavy-duty transmission oil cooler and replaces the 3.55 axle ratio with a 3.73. I'm thinking that may explain both the transmission's longevity and the strong low-end performance, too???

6. Saisei

Saisei Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I was only joking. :p

7. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Nuff said, this is the same problem that mercedes had with the last gen E class and ML series. The first two model years of these vehicles were horrid(especially the firs year) They always gotta work out the kinks

8. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    Yeah every so often a manufacturer puts out a bad part, car or what not. When I was a ford tech I replaced so many transmissions in Taurus's and windstars that I could do the 6 hour remove and replace in about an hour.

Yeah the lower gear ratio in the rear end will make the driving experience feel more torquey, and yes the cooler has played some part in the life of the transmission. I'm also assuming that your parents have taken great care of the vehicle too so as long as you do the same it should last a long time.

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.